Sexing Jewel Cichlids (any sub/species/strain)

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I just took some pics of my little baby jewels. they colored up very nicely in the last few days since I got them. the blue is very strong and one one of them has a lot of red, the suspected female;
In general males tend to be more elongate and overall more of an earth tone.
This guy I would wager is probably a male

This one could go either way

This is the true mystery, Very colorful, short and stocky so my initial thought would be female.
Although she does have quite a red jaw she is also the most colorful by far and from my experience the females always have the brightest red on their bodies.

I am by no means an expert and I haven't kept this fish in over 10 years, but I would probably guess that I have a male and two females. especially since I don't have two aggressively fighting and chasing eachother, its very harmonious but that could all change.

Any other theories or guesses on sexing these guys feel free to chime in

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I just took some pics of my little baby jewels. they colored up very nicely in the last few days since I got them. the blue is very strong and one one of them has a lot of red, the suspected female;
In general males tend to be more elongate and overall more of an earth tone.
This guy I would wager is probably a male

This one could go either way

This is the true mystery, Very colorful, short and stocky so my initial thought would be female.
Although she does have quite a red jaw she is also the most colorful by far and from my experience the females always have the brightest red on their bodies.

I am by no means an expert and I haven't kept this fish in over 10 years, but I would probably guess that I have a male and two females. especially since I don't have two aggressively fighting and chasing eachother, its very harmonious but that could all change.

Any other theories or guesses on sexing these guys feel free to chime in
Could always end up w/ a subordinate male wearing the female colors to avoid confrontations w/ the alpha male. Nice lookers there, are they the "Neon Blue" variant?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Could always end up w/ a subordinate male wearing the female colors to avoid confrontations w/ the alpha male. Nice lookers there, are they the "Neon Blue" variant?
Yeah thats a common practice among lake Malawi cichlids, I wasn't aware that jewels practiced it too but I also read that the ancestors to all Lake malawi stock were most likely riverine cichlids muchlike the jewels. So they could very well use this behavior.

They were actually from Petsmart, if you feed your fish well and keep them in good conditions you would be surprised how good fish from seemingly low stock can look.
I wouldn't mind picking up some wild jewels if I ever see them available, they are not too common of a fish around here, I kicked myself for not getting the reds last time I saw them available.
Looking forward to working with this fish, sort of a back to basics.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yeah thats a common practice among lake Malawi cichlids, I wasn't aware that jewels practiced it too but I also read that the ancestors to all Lake malawi stock were most likely riverine cichlids muchlike the jewels. So they could very well use this behavior.

They were actually from Petsmart, if you feed your fish well and keep them in good conditions you would be surprised how good fish from seemingly low stock can look.
I wouldn't mind picking up some wild jewels if I ever see them available, they are not too common of a fish around here, I kicked myself for not getting the reds last time I saw them available.
Looking forward to working with this fish, sort of a back to basics.
yes, and they all evolved from Damselfish aand many can live in SW too :D Never underestimate the cichlid lol I learned that a long time ago.....they seem to manage pulling off things I never thought possible

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
yes, and they all evolved from Damselfish aand many can live in SW too :D Never underestimate the cichlid lol I learned that a long time ago.....they seem to manage pulling off things I never thought possible
I was going to mention the whole damsel thing too but I didn't want to get proven wrong as I don't remember if it is really true or not. morphologically speaking and in terms of behavior they seem to share a lot in common lol.

I got a group of 6 rock kribensis (the ones with bright yellow females) 1m5f that I'm thinking of mixing with my jewels, I think they would make perfect companions

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I was going to mention the whole damsel thing too but I didn't want to get proven wrong as I don't remember if it is really true or not. morphologically speaking and in terms of behavior they seem to share a lot in common lol.

I got a group of 6 rock kribensis (the ones with bright yellow females) 1m5f that I'm thinking of mixing with my jewels, I think they would make perfect companions
lol found ANOTHER clutch last night....I swear these guys are worse than Convicts. Moved my Convict parents 2 weeks ago and even THEY haven't spawned again this quick. I moved my damn Jewels on TUESDAY and they just dropped another 100-200 eggs already.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Heres an interesting question for jewel enthusiasts out there, How many can you keep in a tank? do they get less aggressive when there are more to disperse aggression? What about keeping them in a 120g aquarium? I`m moving my 3 guys over into my 120 soon and thinking of maybe picking up some other jewels to add to my group.

I find jewels are better parents, Maybe I just had bad convicts but they got bored of their spawn sooner than my jewels did. Jewel juvies are pretty easy to sell to an LFS than convicts too in my experience

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Heres an interesting question for jewel enthusiasts out there, How many can you keep in a tank? do they get less aggressive when there are more to disperse aggression? What about keeping them in a 120g aquarium? I`m moving my 3 guys over into my 120 soon and thinking of maybe picking up some other jewels to add to my group.

I find jewels are better parents, Maybe I just had bad convicts but they got bored of their spawn sooner than my jewels did. Jewel juvies are pretty easy to sell to an LFS than convicts too in my experience
I would say 3 to 5 pairs, depending on tankmates.....you'd probably be able to do more than 3-5 if you had bigger nastier SA/CA cichlids to keep the pairs from taking over anything. DEPENDS ON how many caves and hide spaces you have and how good of cover you set-up for the fry to disappear into. I don't think it matters in a 120 whether you have 6 pairs of Jewels or 3 pairs of Jewels and 3 pairs of Convicts as long as the tank, décor and tankmates are set correctly.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
hatch date for clutch #2, April 10, early morning. Another group of strong healthy looking wigglers. Previous clutch is about 1/4" - 1/2", eating F/T baby brine shrimp, crushed Tetra color flakes and crushed Hikari Bio-gold+ which they share with their tankmates, 60-70 Pink/Normal Convict-HRPs fry. Still no nest from the Geophagus brasiliensis, but lots of courting behavior nonetheless

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

Yo, this can't be right......the eggs hatched April 10th, but the babies are already free-swimmers and surfacing. The Convicts took 2 weeks to hit free-swimmer stage.......Jewels just develop faster and grow faster or what? IIRC, 2 weeks was standard for wigglers, yes?

duanes duanes Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 peathenster peathenster fishnatics fishnatics Ihsnshaik Ihsnshaik Aquanero Aquanero Charney Charney Oddball Oddball dan518 dan518

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store