Should I Feed Fish in the Winter

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
I keep my bullhead catfish in an unheated basement, and I figure that it should be fine, since they are native fish. However, since the water temperture has dropped, the bullhead has not been feeding very much, and is leaving lots of uneaten food. Should I stop feeding him, or reduce feeding to every few days, or what? Also, I'm planning on switching the substrate from sand to tiles. Will that be fine to do now, or would it be best to leave the sand over the winter?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Metabolism is slowing down, so it won't have much of an appetite. If they don't eat, no reason to keep adding good.

I have a native tank, with a bullhead, in my unheated basement as well. Temps get down to about 55 in mid winter. I feed, lightly, about once a week. However, my bullhead makes it easy for me to know when it's hungry.....it swims and mouth at the surface when I approach the tank.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Shouldn't be an issue changing the substrate right now.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Reduce feed intake to match the lower metabolism now that the fishes water is colder. So feed, but feed sparingly. The cat will let you know when you are feeding too much.

Reactions: Drstrangelove
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store