Should this be a crime?

Should it be illegal to take the robbers get-a-way car?

• yes

Votes: 18 13.4%
  • no

Votes: 116 86.6%

• Total voters

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
Ok. I just saw a vid on yahoo news. A man was in his basement when he hears a A big bang upstairs. He tip toes up his basement stairs and peers under the door. To his suprise he's being robbed. they are trying to take hs flat screen, jewlery and even his sons tricycle. so he sneeks outside his own home and gets in there getaway car. A white van which the robbers left running and unlocked. He takes off. Calls 911 and tell the operator what had happened. the opeerator tells him he had better stop b/c he can now be charged with auto theft b/c he stole there car. so he stops and the robbers not knowing what was going one when they left the house dropped all his items and ran.

So the question is. Should this be illegal. You are being robbed. Not only is someone trying to take your items you worked so hard to get and provide to your family. but these people are trespassing on your property. And you decide that you're going to take matters into your own hands. b/c you knwo the cops either won't ever catch these guys or it will simply take them to long to get there and help. So you take there get-a-way car.

Should the police be able to charge YOU with theft for taking the robbers car?

dawn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
in Birminghan
koop171;2806560; said:
Ok. I just saw a vid on yahoo news. A man was in his basement when he hears a A big bang upstairs. He tip toes up his basement stairs and peers under the door. To his suprise he's being robbed. they are trying to take hs flat screen, jewlery and even his sons tricycle. so he sneeks outside his own home and gets in there getaway car. A white van which the robbers left running and unlocked. He takes off. Calls 911 and tell the operator what had happened. the opeerator tells him he had better stop b/c he can now be charged with auto theft b/c he stole there car. so he stops and the robbers not knowing what was going one when they left the house dropped all his items and ran.

So the question is. Should this be illegal. You are being robbed. Not only is someone trying to take your items you worked so hard to get and provide to your family. but these people are trespassing on your property. And you decide that you're going to take matters into your own hands. b/c you knwo the cops either won't ever catch these guys or it will simply take them to long to get there and help. So you take there get-a-way car.

Should the police be able to charge YOU with theft for taking the robbers car?
No they shouldn't! The poor victim had worked hard for the things, and should not be charged for taking the car! He was most probably going to the nearest call box to phone the cops in the first place!

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
That's not a crime, that's genius!!!

PennReels84

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
South Jersey
no they shouldnt, but with this justice system today u never know! there was that robber who fell through the skylight into the kitchen and cut himself! then sued the owner and won!!!!!

Neophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2008
US, Mass
Unfortunately in this country (assuming this country since he dialed 911, does 911 work in other countries?) the robbers have more rights than the one being robbed.

I say it shouldn't but it probably is.

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
buck_wildest;2806737; said:
he should have shot them

In Ohio where I'm from that's NOT a crime. It passed late last year. if a intruder enters your home you don't have to wait to see if they are there to do harm to you and yours. You have every right to shot them. If you kill them it's not going to be held against you b/c you were protecting you and your family from semeinly certain harm. It used to be they had to either show a weapon or do harm to the homeowner first but now it's shot then ask. I love it. I personally would not think twice about shoting a person who breaks into my home. I'm not waiting to see if they hurt someone before I step in.

smpage

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
Idaho Falls
Two wrongs do not make a right. If he was able to get outside to the van then the proper procedure would have been to get the license plate number then call the police. Stealing a car is stealing a car.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
koop171;2806759; said:
In Ohio where I'm from that's NOT a crime. It passed late last year. if a intruder enters your home you don't have to wait to see if they are there to do harm to you and yours. You have every right to shot them. If you kill them it's not going to be held against you b/c you were protecting you and your family from semeinly certain harm. It used to be they had to either show a weapon or do harm to the homeowner first but now it's shot then ask. I love it. I personally would not think twice about shoting a person who breaks into my home. I'm not waiting to see if they hurt someone before I step in.
gotta love that Castle Doctrine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store