Show Me Your Favorite Catfish,

A

AquaAlex1993

Take a picture of your favorite picture and post it here, I'd love to see what kind of catfish people are keeping and like.
I only have 2 catfish right now a lima shovelnose catfish and a synodontis hybrid. My lima shovelnose is my favorite catfish. My other favorite catfish are four lined pictus catfish, niger catfish, megladoras irwini, jaguar cats and rapheal catfish. I will own some of these cats in the future.
Can't wait to see your favorite catfish.
Here is my Lima after attending the all you can eat Shrimp buffet.

22291990_1483782421658451_212351377_n.jpg

22323385_1483782371658456_469079411_n.jpg

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Well, I could tell you what I want...
-True/false piraiba (whichever, since they're both expensive)
-Juruense
-Lima shovelnose (which you have)
-Dourada (only seen in pics but looks awesome)
-Ripsaw cat (ditto the dourada)
And some other cats I'm probably missing. I'm waiting for the day I can keep all of these at the same time...and not in the same tank! And the shovelnose you've got is somewhere in the future!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Take a picture of your favorite picture and post it here, I'd love to see what kind of catfish people are keeping and like.
I only have 2 catfish right now a lima shovelnose catfish and a synodontis hybrid. My lima shovelnose is my favorite catfish. My other favorite catfish are four lined pictus catfish, niger catfish, megladoras irwini, jaguar cats and rapheal catfish. I will own some of these cats in the future.
Can't wait to see your favorite catfish.
Here is my Lima after attending the all you can eat Shrimp buffet.

View attachment 1278895

View attachment 1278896

Nice fat Lima Shovelnose

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Lol facts I can tell you what I want, what I have I really like as well but there can only be one favorite and that's hemibagrus wyckii. Here's some pics of my old one. After that I'm not sure. Second is jau cats third is between apurensis and lince. After this it'd be my Trachy and jag cat. I'll post pics of them as well.
IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1097.JPGIMG_2717.JPG IMG_1996.JPG

A

AquaAlex1993

Well, I could tell you what I want...
-True/false piraiba (whichever, since they're both expensive)
-Juruense
-Lima shovelnose (which you have)
-Dourada (only seen in pics but looks awesome)
-Ripsaw cat (ditto the dourada)
And some other cats I'm probably missing. I'm waiting for the day I can keep all of these at the same time...and not in the same tank! And the shovelnose you've got is somewhere in the future!
Those are all NICE catfish as well. I also love the ripsaw niger catfish and the juruense. I am going to get one of them in the future.
Nice fat Lima Shovelnose
Thank you, he tries to imitate me sometimes, LMAO.

Lol facts I can tell you what I want, what I have I really like as well but there can only be one favorite and that's hemibagrus wyckii. Here's some pics of my old one. After that I'm not sure. Second is jau cats third is between apurensis and lince. After this it'd be my Trachy and jag cat. I'll post pics of them as well.
View attachment 1278920 View attachment 1278921
View attachment 1278923View attachment 1278924 View attachment 1278926
WOW! Those are some gorgeous catfish. Love your jaguar cats and the trachy.
That's a nice wolffish as well. Is he terribly aggressive? I've always loved wolffish but fear they are not tankmate safe.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Those are all NICE catfish as well. I also love the ripsaw niger catfish and the juruense. I am going to get one of them in the future.

Thank you, he tries to imitate me sometimes, LMAO.

WOW! Those are some gorgeous catfish. Love your jaguar cats and the trachy.
That's a nice wolffish as well. Is he terribly aggressive? I've always loved wolffish but fear they are not tankmate safe.
Wolves need tough tank mates. Can't stress that enough. He wasn't overly aggressive, but wolves being strong swimmers and ambush predators will get a fish if they want to. So he kind of outgrew everyone which was expected. So when he bit someone that was really all it took to end them. Except for the odoe. He was outgrowin my tank and it showed as his aggression began to grow. I sadly don't have him no more. Never had an emotional attachment to a fish but if I did it'd be him. My interest has dwindled in my tank. But back to aggression for wolves it really comes down to the specimen. There's some you can't keep any with and there's some you can (speaking in terms of same species).

Edit: I realize the gold wolf is in the pictures, I thought it was the black lol. I have the gold still. Made that mistake cause the gold avoids me where as the black wolf followed me and only one of those pictures is within the last week. I just recently rehomed my black so that's why. As far as gold wolves go, they aren't to bad, easily put in place but if not can be jerks. Something I've been interest in is how a group would feed. Cause he's done it to a few fish I've tried introducing that he can't eat whole, he rips them up usually tail end first and then eats them slowly as he takes chunks out, I assume tail end first so they can't escape, he does it every time so must be purposely. As far as who he decides to do that to I'm not sure how he picks that. So he doesn't require as tough if tank mates as Hoplias species because he doesn't get as big, bite isn't as strong, and isn't as territorial, but gotta be careful with his feeding response, I'm not sure what triggers it. What's different is he'll still eat fish, what I've noticed with Hoplias is usually once they are on something they stick to it and they've gotta be real hungry to resort to live. So if you introduce something make sure it's of equal length and can defend itself. I noticed with Hoplias species they don't go into a new setting and challenge anyone or eat anyone but I know I introduced this guy and he was chasing my odoe for the first few days till she got annoyed enough and put him in his place. With Lima shovelnose id suggest trying erythrinus species they are the least aggro ime and if you get the right specimen they can get some nice colors. I had one with mine but the black wolf got him. Noticed the purple wolf and gold wolf hung out a lot as well. In the wild gold wolves are known to loosely shoal, since mine hasn't acted aggro towards the purple wolf I wonder if I can get another to see if they'd "shoal". People haven't had luck getting golds to comm with one another only one person who had a black wolf with them. Everyone else the top dog always bullies or kills the rest.

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

Last edited:
A

AquaAlex1993

Wolves need tough tank mates. Can't stress that enough. He wasn't overly aggressive, but wolves being strong swimmers and ambush predators will get a fish if they want to. So he kind of outgrew everyone which was expected. So when he bit someone that was really all it took to end them. Except for the odoe. He was outgrowin my tank and it showed as his aggression began to grow. I sadly don't have him no more. Never had an emotional attachment to a fish but if I did it'd be him. My interest has dwindled in my tank. But back to aggression for wolves it really comes down to the specimen. There's some you can't keep any with and there's some you can (speaking in terms of same species).

Edit: I realize the gold wolf is in the pictures, I thought it was the black lol. I have the gold still. Made that mistake cause the gold avoids me where as the black wolf followed me and only one of those pictures is within the last week. I just recently rehomed my black so that's why. As far as gold wolves go, they aren't to bad, easily put in place but if not can be jerks. Something I've been interest in is how a group would feed. Cause he's done it to a few fish I've tried introducing that he can't eat whole, he rips them up usually tail end first and then eats them slowly as he takes chunks out, I assume tail end first so they can't escape, he does it every time so must be purposely. As far as who he decides to do that to I'm not sure how he picks that. So he doesn't require as tough if tank mates as Hoplias species because he doesn't get as big, bite isn't as strong, and isn't as territorial, but gotta be careful with his feeding response, I'm not sure what triggers it. What's different is he'll still eat fish, what I've noticed with Hoplias is usually once they are on something they stick to it and they've gotta be real hungry to resort to live. So if you introduce something make sure it's of equal length and can defend itself. I noticed with Hoplias species they don't go into a new setting and challenge anyone or eat anyone but I know I introduced this guy and he was chasing my odoe for the first few days till she got annoyed enough and put him in his place. With Lima shovelnose id suggest trying erythrinus species they are the least aggro ime and if you get the right specimen they can get some nice colors. I had one with mine but the black wolf got him. Noticed the purple wolf and gold wolf hung out a lot as well. In the wild gold wolves are known to loosely shoal, since mine hasn't acted aggro towards the purple wolf I wonder if I can get another to see if they'd "shoal". People haven't had luck getting golds to comm with one another only one person who had a black wolf with them. Everyone else the top dog always bullies or kills the rest.

View attachment 1278962

View attachment 1278963

View attachment 1278964
Those wolffish are awesome, man!

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I thought I'd chime in but it turned out far tougher than I thought. I like too many for many reasons, not all the same.

So the answer is I don't know.

I know a family of catfish I like. Not in taxonomic sense but a bunch of hungry relatives:

Catfish-in-Gadisar-Lake.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store