Show off your orange cheek Pleco!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
That pleco looks amazing! I may consider getting one. What do you feed it?
Was about to ask the same thing. Also do they suck on the glass allot ? How do you think one would do in an acrylic tank ?

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Has anybody long term experience with this pleco ?
I had them two times in the past and everytime they died after a short time.
I also know another guy who lost two of them.
Our theory is that they are very sensitive and can't handle the bacteria in a tank but nobody knows for sure.
I would love to keep one again but when I am not able to keep them alive long term it makes no sense.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Our theory is that they are very sensitive and can't handle the bacteria in a tank but nobody knows for sure.
I would love to keep one again but when I am not able to keep them alive long term it makes no sense.
Hopefully someone could shed some light on this... I couldn’t imagine forking out that kind of money just to have the Pleco die!
:rip:shakehead

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
I have had my large one for over 2 years and small ones for a little over a year now. I did get a large one from someone a while ago and it died within a couple weeks. That person kept it in extremely poor water conditions(I found out after testing their water after I got home with it). I think it had a compromised immune system.

Reactions: Rob909

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
Was about to ask the same thing. Also do they suck on the glass allot ? How do you think one would do in an acrylic tank ?
I think they would be ok in a acrylic tank. They dont really have specialized scraping teeth like a panaque, but they to scrape biofilm a bit. If you want to be perfectly safe, your best bet for larger plecos are ones more suited towards meat like Scobinancistrus, and Pseudacanthicus. I personally wouldnt have any reservations about putting L095 in an acrylic tank though.

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
That pleco looks amazing! I may consider getting one. What do you feed it?
Their teeth suggest they aren't a specialized feeder. I call them garbage plecos as they tend to eat what ever. Mine have all done well with a variety of foods. They all like to eat the cichild pellets and that I use as a staple. Other foods include fresh veggies, spirulina pellets, krill pellets, algae wafers, kelp wafers, earthworm sticks, blackworm sticks. Just about anything that goes in the tank they eat.

Reactions: Rob909 and Exnetics

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think they would be ok in a acrylic tank. They dont really have specialized scraping teeth like a panaque, but they to scrape biofilm a bit. If you want to be perfectly safe, your best bet for larger plecos are ones more suited towards meat like Scobinancistrus, and Pseudacanthicus. I personally wouldnt have any reservations about putting L095 in an acrylic tank though.
Yup those are the two species im more than likely going to stick with. I could keep the red cheek in a 75 if i were able to get a smaller sized one and see how it goes. Thanks for the insight man

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
exodus1500 exodus1500 , how big were the little ones when you got them? All the websites I’ve seen them for sale on had them at 12-14 inches already. Plus they’re all out of stock. Even if I was ready to fork over the cash, I can’t even find any for sale.

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
exodus1500 exodus1500 , how big were the little ones when you got them? All the websites I’ve seen them for sale on had them at 12-14 inches already. Plus they’re all out of stock. Even if I was ready to fork over the cash, I can’t even find any for sale.

They have put in about 1.5 inches in the past year. I dont power feed any of my fish though.

Jeff Rapps has had some for sale for a long time that are smaller, but they aren't cheap and I'm guessing that's why he has had them so long.

Reactions: Rob909
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store