Show us you indoor ponds

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Not sure if this counts as a pond since it's so small, but it's running a bog filter so I figured I'd try my luck here. The inhabitants include:

3x Chinese Pond turtles
2x Yellow Pond turtles (hybrid)
~10x rosy bitterlings
5x stone morokos
6x siamese algae eaters
All yearlings or thereabouts.

The outer box is 80x60x34cm, the inner box is 40x30x20ish. Been running pretty well for 6 months now, the main hitch being the turtles molesting all the nice looking plants to death with the (arguable) exception of the umbrella palms. Space is at a premium where I live, so I plan on upgrading to a deeper pond with about the same footprint in the spring.

View attachment 1359354
What is the tall plant in the back left corner?

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
2018 was kind of a up and down year for me health wise, alas our 2600 gallon Brook trout pond was a great year yielding 100 plate sized fish. Currently there are ten Brookies and five, four year old comets in there. It's nearly time to get a batch of fingerlings and begin again. These photos are from May 2018. This is an earth-sheltered green & fish house which has been producing tomatoes, Kale and bell peppers daily. It has gotten cold in there, and some of the tomatoes got zapped be it, luckily there are still several active vines producing. Brian May-24th-2018-Aquaponics-greenhouse-tomatoes-and-more.jpg May-24th-2018-hungry-Brook-Trout-Aquaponics-greenhouse.jpg
May-24th-2018-Aquaponics-greenhouse.jpg

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Canna, about 4 months of growth.
You wouldn’t happen to remember what kind, do you? How is it planted? I’m curious because I thought they were like irises and needed well drained soil to keep from rotting. But yours is obviously doing very well and looks great.

blinkdagger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2019
You wouldn’t happen to remember what kind, do you? How is it planted? I’m curious because I thought they were like irises and needed well drained soil to keep from rotting. But yours is obviously doing very well and looks great.
Thanks!

When I bought it the labeling was literally 'aquatic yellow flower canna' (水生黄花美人蕉, off taobao). I planted a couple taros from the grocery store alongside it in about 2 or 3 cm of standing water; the taros rotted within a week while the canna did pretty well. During the first few weeks I had the air stone next to the filter intake such that there was a decent amount of bubbling coming out from underneath the bog (this evidently did not save the taros so proportionally I don't think it did much for the canna).

My best guess is that this is an aquatic variety that oxygenates its own roots as opposed to needing well drained substrate.

More food for thought, I had all the plants under blurples for the first 3 months (because all indoor hydro pot/lettuce growers in popular media use blurples), they were growing but not very well. I switched to pink/whites and the majority of the plants are doing much better, except the lettuce, the lettuce died.

Mine has been around for a while but I suppose I haven't posted it in here.
Your plants are awesome! Are they potted outside or in the pond? What's the filtration setup? How many hours of natural light are you getting through that window? Is that the only light supplement you've got going on?

Last edited:

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Your plants are awesome! Are they potted outside or in the pond? What's the filtration setup? How many hours of natural light are you getting through that window? Is that the only light supplement you've got going on?
Thanks. The plant roots are all inside the water, planted in hanging baskets filled with clay pebbles.

What you see on the first picture is the only artificial light dedicated to this tank. The rest is day light but I don't live in a sunny country. There are 3 more tanks in there so it can get bright inside from artificial light which may be bouncing back to these plants too. Artificial light is on for about 10 hours, and day light for a bit less right now as its winter but the window stays uncovered at all times.

I had a similar set up, very successful plant wise with just artificial light but one needs way more if there's no day light involved.

The filtration is 3 external filters. The plants do the rest of the filtering.

Last edited:

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Thanks!

When I bought it the labeling was literally 'aquatic yellow flower canna' (水生黄花美人蕉, off taobao). I planted a couple taros from the grocery store alongside it in about 2 or 3 cm of standing water; the taros rotted within a week while the canna did pretty well. During the first few weeks I had the air stone next to the filter intake such that there was a decent amount of bubbling coming out from underneath the bog (this evidently did not save the taros so proportionally I don't think it did much for the canna).

My best guess is that this is an aquatic variety that oxygenates its own roots as opposed to needing well drained substrate.

More food for thought, I had all the plants under blurples for the first 3 months (because all indoor hydro pot/lettuce growers in popular media use blurples), they were growing but not very well. I switched to pink/whites and the majority of the plants are doing much better, except the lettuce, the lettuce died.
Thank you for such a detailed reply:) looks like I have some research to do. I see cannas for sale often, but none that are aquatic. In fact, I get rather confused looks when I ask for bog plants at nurseries. I might have to order online if I can find some.
Thanks!

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
It's not hard at all, click 'go advanced' then click attachments in the list of options. Use the browser to find your picture on your computer then upload it.

I once had a kiddie pool for under $10 in one of my bedrooms. It held about 80 gallons. I wish I could get a much bigger pond someday.
Wow! 1 of my first posts on here 9 1/2 years ago (4 days after I joined).

Keep up the good looking ponds!

RDFISHGUY

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
Red Deer, AB.
Some pretty creative and amazing ponds thanks for sharing.IMG_0061.jpgIMG_3024.jpgIMG_3112.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store