Shrimp only tank

-603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Going to be doing a cherry shrimp only planted biotope style setup with one of my 10 gallon tanks I have laying around. Advice on good low tech plants ? want to have it heavily planted. Also if anyone has good filtration ideas for this style setup let me know I have a plan but open to other ideas, thanks !

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I haven’t really planted anything yet, just threw in some moss and was given a few free plants from friends. No idea what they are, not sure if I will ever find out. Lol.

The shrimp are fascinating, I just watched 4 berried females fight over an nls pellet. I just got these blue velvet about 2-3 weeks ago and non of them had any eggs yet.

They really like the tank to be set up and kinda gunky. So I used this 5g as a small qt tank for about 6 months. Put some plecos and a few other small fish in before picking up the new shrimps. They love the set up I guess.

Reactions: -603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Shrimps almost require mature tanks for them to be really happy as parameters etc seem to be most stable in tanks at least a few months old...

-603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
I haven’t really planted anything yet, just threw in some moss and was given a few free plants from friends. No idea what they are, not sure if I will ever find out. Lol.

The shrimp are fascinating, I just watched 4 berried females fight over an nls pellet. I just got these blue velvet about 2-3 weeks ago and non of them had any eggs yet.

They really like the tank to be set up and kinda gunky. So I used this 5g as a small qt tank for about 6 months. Put some plecos and a few other small fish in before picking up the new shrimps. They love the set up I guess.
I'm sure the shrimp love scavenging thru all the moss and plants!

Reactions: Fat Homer

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I have a fifty gallon with RC shrimp, BN plecos and platies and everyone is very happy. The plants are Water Wisteria and Hornwart, both of which are covered in shrimp. Although I would have to say the shrimp leant toward the Hornwart. I have to be very careful not to remove baby shrimp when thinning the Hornwart as they cling to it even when lifted from the water. Both plants are low light easy keepers.

I have a second tank with Java Moss and the shrimp are hard to find due to it`s density. I really like the Java Moss for the cover it provides but I have no idea how many shrimp are even in the tank.

Reactions: -603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Shrimps almost require mature tanks for them to be really happy as parameters etc seem to be most stable in tanks at least a few months old...
Weirdly my cherries are surviving and moulting well in my newly set-up scape. Perhaps lots of food from the plants not taking a sudden dunk :p

You'll find with shrimp they expand exponentially :eek:

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I use sponge pre-filters on all tank filters but it is essential in a shrimp tank. The problem is baby shrimp love living inside the actual sponge..and if there is no sponge, they end up in the filer.

I think its been years since I took a picture of any of my shrimp but here are some I found.
They've pretty much lived in various tanks, tropical and cold water, high flow, low flow, planted, non-planted, you name it...tough creatures..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store