Shy cichlids not coming out! Ideas to solve this?

Riverfisher201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2020
Hey,

I have a bit of a problem in my 60 gallon cichlid tank, in this tank I keep a jack dempsey, a red Texas(it’s basically a hybrid between a parrot and a green Texas) and just for the fun of it I keep a rainbow shark as well.

My problem is that all these fish seem to be pretty scared of me. I keep them in a tank in my bedroom and I find anytime I look at the tank the fish are all hiding. When I first added the fish to the tank I added them all at once while they were all small and the same size. However the jack use to be the friendly fish of the group and would even jump out of the water when he saw my hand with food it in, but then the red Texas grew much larger then the rest and I believe he just dominated over the jack and now the jack just lives in the caves 24/7.

Ever since the jack started to hide the Texas has became much more larger then him and eats way more then the jack, if I’m beinghonest the only time I see the jack eating is picked up some left overs off the bottom outside his cave. At first when the jack went into hiding the Texas was normally out and about in the tank and not to scared of me, but recently in the past month he’s has hoped on the trend for hiding when I’m around. Often he just wedges himself in the corner of the tank and then when I walk by he freaks out and send water everywhere outside the tank.

I find none of bother the rainbow shark and he’s most often just enjoying himself and sliding along the drift wood having himself a good time. Im just looking for any options of what I could do to maybe lure the other out of hiding and swimming around more often while I can take a good look at them!

I love this tank and any help you guys can give me would really mean a lot to me, thanks!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A 60 gallon tank is usually too small for more than 1 American cichlid.
Whichever cichlid grows larger and dominates, will usually make life very difficult for the smaller one, so it has no recourse other than to constantly hide.
Its no surprise that the "Texas" is dominant, they tend to be (as a rule) much more aggressive than JDs.
Even in nature, JDs tend to suffer when in the presence of other species of cichlids, but in nature cichlids have thousands of gallons of space, and once beyond 4 ft of a dominant individual, are safe. But in a tank (relatively speaking) the size of a puddle, there is no where to go, so hiding is the only option.
The 4 ft mark is usually the length a dominant cichlid will break off chase.
027 zps4b102ffd
In the video above in a Cenote in Mexico, even in thousands of gallons, the JDs are pretty torn up and take a back seat (dominance wise) to the more successful cichlid, Mayaheros uropthalmus.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
One other thing you might want to consider is, that in nature JDs (and other cichlids) watch dither fish (like the hundreds of live bearers in the video above) to gauge the threat of danger.
If dither fish are aimlessly dithering the JDs feel secure, if they are not anywhere to be seen, if the dither fish are hiding, it instinctually lets the JDs know they should also hide.
In the video below (another Cenote) the JDs are the dominant cichlid, so they are much more common, and bold.
Eden2
But because fish eating birds are the most dangerous and common predator of JDs, any shadow from above is also an indication they should hide.
1608027547939.png

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I agree with duanes, getting some dither fish will definitely get them out more. Once I put dithers in my tank I instantly noticed a difference (as I write this my jd and convict were just out chasing a school)
I’ve noticed with my Jack that it hides more than the other cichlids in the tank, so it isn’t necessarily abnormal for yours to do it. The Texas does seem to be beating up on it.
For the food problem, get sinking cichlid pellets and mix it with the floating food. Jds are shy eaters Ime, so the Texas will always outcompete it (my parrot hogs all the food and takes from mine). Since I’ve started mixing both at feedings, however, the JD has been able to get lots more food, as he will eat off the ground, while the larger, more aggressive fish take from the top.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Keep the tank light above the tank off first. Only keep the room light on. This will allow the fish to see you coming from further away. With the light on above the tank, it's usually the last minute when they see you approaching the tank. Try this for 3-4 weeks before adding other fish.

Reactions: DMD123 and tlindsey

Riverfisher201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2020
A 60 gallon tank is usually too small for more than 1 American cichlid.
Whichever cichlid grows larger and dominates, will usually make life very difficult for the smaller one, so it has no recourse other than to constantly hide.
Its no surprise that the "Texas" is dominant, they tend to be (as a rule) much more aggressive than JDs.
Even in nature, JDs tend to suffer when in the presence of other species of cichlids, but in nature cichlids have thousands of gallons of space, and once beyond 4 ft of a dominant individual, are safe. But in a tank (relatively speaking) the size of a puddle, there is no where to go, so hiding is the only option.
The 4 ft mark is usually the length a dominant cichlid will break off chase.
027 zps4b102ffd
In the video above in a Cenote in Mexico, even in thousands of gallons, the JDs are pretty torn up and take a back seat (dominance wise) to the more successful cichlid, Mayaheros uropthalmus.
Hey, thanks for the quick response, I’m know by having a 60g tank with two cichlids in it might not be the best option and it probably wasn’t the best option ethics wise. And yes you are correct I’ve have my Texas attack my arm a few times now while cleaning out the tank, doesn’t do any damage but I think it’s pretty cool. Your opinion is very helpful, thanks!!

Riverfisher201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2020
One other thing you might want to consider is, that in nature JDs (and other cichlids) watch dither fish (like the hundreds of live bearers in the video above) to gauge the threat of danger.
If dither fish are aimlessly dithering the JDs feel secure, if they are not anywhere to be seen, if the dither fish are hiding, it instinctually lets the JDs know they should also hide.
In the video below (another Cenote) the JDs are the dominant cichlid, so they are much more common, and bold.
Eden2
But because fish eating birds are the most dangerous and common predator of JDs, any shadow from above is also an indication they should hide.
View attachment 1443286
That’s one thing I was also wondering about. My options to use dither fish. I think it would be a fun idea that would put more action in the tank. However already with the jack, Texas and shark Im not sure how many dither fish I could add without overwhelming the tank room. I have loads of filtration and run a power head blowing oxygen along with two air stones, so lots of filtration and movement in the water, but it’s just more so the fish and the room I was conserved about. Do you think with the jack and Texas in there I’d have any trouble putting dithers in with them? Or would I need to maybe remove one of the cichlids before considering dither fish? Also if dither fish for me are the best choice to fix this shy problem, what type of dither fish would u recommend?
Thanks!

Reactions: Deadeye

Riverfisher201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2020
I agree with duanes, getting some dither fish will definitely get them out more. Once I put dithers in my tank I instantly noticed a difference (as I write this my jd and convict were just out chasing a school)
I’ve noticed with my Jack that it hides more than the other cichlids in the tank, so it isn’t necessarily abnormal for yours to do it. The Texas does seem to be beating up on it.
For the food problem, get sinking cichlid pellets and mix it with the floating food. Jds are shy eaters Ime, so the Texas will always outcompete it (my parrot hogs all the food and takes from mine). Since I’ve started mixing both at feedings, however, the JD has been able to get lots more food, as he will eat off the ground, while the larger, more aggressive fish take from the top.
Hey, I also agree with the idea of dither fish, and what fish would u recommend to do that job? And also for the rest of my question about that check my reply to duanes! And I think your idea of using sinking pellets is a great idea about, next time I do to feed I’ll add my floating food on top then drop some sinking pellets around the bottom and outside his caves and see if that will help him eat. Personally I’m fine if the fish is more happy in a cave, but I’m just more worried about that my Texas likes to just sit in corners and seems scared and goes crazy around the tank when I walk by, any tips on that?
Thanks so much!

Reactions: Deadeye

Riverfisher201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2020
Keep the tank light above the tank off first. Only keep the room light on. This will allow the fish to see you coming from further away. With the light on above the tank, it's usually the last minute when they see you approaching the tank. Try this for 3-4 weeks before adding other fish.
Never even thought or heard of this idea, I enjoy having my tank lights on, and I have plants around the tank for they should be on for a little bit but what I might try and do is maybe set them for late at night when I’m sleeping, and I’ll drop food in as they are going to turn on. That way when the lights are on there’s no movement around the tank and then when I’m moving around the tank when they are normally scared the lights will be off!
Thanks for the tip, I’ll most certainly give this a shot!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
In the end, if you want both cichlids to not kill one or the other, they will probably need separate tanks, especially at adult size.
Both could easily hit 10".
When in separate tanks, there might be room for fast enough dithers.
Geographicall correct dithers would be live bearers, like sail fin mollies, or Astyanax tetras, but they'd need to large enough not to be eaten, of course a 60 gallon doesn't provide much escape room, so they could be easily cornered no matter what you do.
Other non-geographically correct dithers, could be large enough barbs, rainbow fish, or tetras.
In the case of the Texas, even southern US type minnows.
1608068821405.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store