SILLIEST thing you have ever done as a beginner!

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
lets see here is a very small portion of my list

1. let the guy who was sleeping on the couch wash the filter cartridge in the tap water daily for about 3 weeks before I did some reading
2. put a baby bichir in a community/breeding tank(50 platys gone in 2 weeks)
3. moved that bichir to his own tank and got him some extra large Giant river prawns(7" body 16" with claws) the bichir was 3". I found him the next morning with no head

eventually I learned the 3 main things in fish keeping research, research, research
Lol. That's awesome. My LFS manager tried to tell me last night that his gorgeous rose line barbs would be happy in my 30 long. After researching...I realize he likes to tell me what he thinks I want to hear. That guy would sell his soul to make a profit. Research before u buy is a good motto!

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Lol. That's awesome. My LFS manager tried to tell me last night that his gorgeous rose line barbs would be happy in my 30 long. After researching...I realize he likes to tell me what he thinks I want to hear. That guy would sell his soul to make a profit. Research before u buy is a good motto!
Yess. This.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Thought i had unplugged the heater before a water change in a 125 gl tank full of Africans. Heater cracked, frying all the fish and shocking me into unconsciousness when i went to pull the hose out of the tank. lesson learned
That had to hurt, oops. I got shocked by an old crt pc monitor once when I was little, hurt like hell and my arm was tingly for a day. Can't imagine that haha.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
When I was 3 I tried to give my grandmother's betta a bath by taking it out of its bowl and putting soap on it. Had no idea what I was doing.

This one wins. Hands down. That's hilarious.

Sentence fragments!

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Reactions: Hendre

viking252200

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2007
Tokyo,Japan
When I started out, there was no internet!
Yep, I'm that old.
So I had to rely on the library and the local fish shop...unfortunately not always the most reliable source of information...
As such I thought it was perfectly ok to put a dovii and a red snakehead together.... in a 15 gallon!
Didn't really work out...

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I put some river mud and plants in my 10 gal molly/platy breeding tank to make it a planted tank.
Every LFS I ever went to was great. I remember sneaking out of school in 6th grade to buy stuff for other kids to make money to buy an arowana or bichir - and then the evil guy refusing to sell me the fish I'd worked so hard for. (Family goldfish/planted tank).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store