Silver dollars fed clippings

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
so like the title says, can I feed my silver dollars clippings from my other tanks plants?

I have 6 silver dollars in a 180g tank that is just rocks and driftwood because of their notoriety for eating plants. All of my other tanks are very heavily planted however.

Usually I just throw my clippings (or torn pieces when my biggest Severum throws his post WC temper tantrum) in the trash. I don’t know how I didn’t think of this before, but if I throw the clippings into their tank, will they eat them? Will they eat yellow/dead leaves? Ones with various algae’s on them? Or will I just be moving the mess from one tank to another?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Silver dollars will eat basically any plant so go ahead and toss them in.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I doubt the truly dead ones will be relished, however most aquatic plants will likely be accepted, they will even eat Java fern

Reactions: Supalah17

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have started offering my group bits of various greens from the prepackaged salad that the wife brought home.They love it.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
They are more nibblers than outright grazers....they seem to relish meaty stuff more than the veggies I attempt to feed.

Reactions: Supalah17

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
IMO I don’t think it will work like you think, when I kept silver dollars they would take small bites out of plants and not just instantly chew it up, depending on the plant you will probably have floating leaves in your tank that will have bites out of them. It might work but I think it will just create mess

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
They are more nibblers than outright grazers....they seem to relish meaty stuff more than the veggies I attempt to feed.
Mine will eat earthworms, red wigglers, massivore pellets (attempt to), and just all of the food I feed to my bottom dwellers. They do not care whatsoever if I give them lettuce specifically for them, they want the meaty food too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store