Single angelfish with 5 discus

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I currently have 5 juvenile angelfish. My tank is 75 gallon and I also have neons, some live bearers, and danios. I would like to grow the angelfish up and then sell a few and replace them with discus. My questions are
•will I be okay putting a singer angelfish with a group of discus?
•how large would the discus need to be if the angelfish is about 4-5 inches?
•What's the maximum size angelfish I should keep if the discus I get are 1.5-2 inches?

What if I keep a pair of the angelfish with the same plan?
I have never kept angel fish before this and have never kept discus.
Another question comes to mind, I know discus need really big water changes. I have neon tetras too and I know they're very sensitive to if water changes. So how does this work?image.jpeg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I currently have 5 juvenile angelfish. My tank is 75 gallon and I also have neons, some live bearers, and danios. I would like to grow the angelfish up and then sell a few and replace them with discus. My questions are
•will I be okay putting a singer angelfish with a group of discus?
•how large would the discus need to be if the angelfish is about 4-5 inches?
•What's the maximum size angelfish I should keep if the discus I get are 1.5-2 inches?

What if I keep a pair of the angelfish with the same plan?
I have never kept angel fish before this and have never kept discus.
Another question comes to mind, I know discus need really big water changes. I have neon tetras too and I know they're very sensitive to if water changes. So how does this work?View attachment 1185424
Can't answer for the compatibility, but in regards to the water changes; you'd try to match water you're putting into the tank, as close as possible to the existing parameters in terms of temperature, PH etc if possible. No big swings

stalefish83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
Eugene, OR
I introduced a group of 3 discus, about 2 inches long, with a single angelfish that was about 5 inches. Then after a few weeks I introduced 3 more discus. You can never be sure with cichlids, so "individual results may vary" but my angelfish has always left the discus alone. I have a thread "my discus journey" the details of what I did, and so far I feel it's been a success.

I would ditch the danios, and probably neons though, as they are fast moving and will likely stress out your discus. Discus will become much more prone to disease if they are stressed, and a bunch of fast moving little fish will definitely stress them. If you are keeping discus, IMHO, you want your tank to be centered around the needs of the discus, and all the other fish come second.

Make sure you get at least 6 discus, and I wouldn't recommend many more angels than one, mayyybe 2. Let the discus outnumber the angels, and it *should be ok. Again, they are cichlids, so any one of them has the potential to be nasty.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store