So, how's that fish taste, anyway?

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
No, this won't be a rehashing of that thread (you know the one), instead, I want to hear about the tastiest fish you've eaten around the globe.

In my area, most of the Asian markets offer frozen/jarred Snakehead and Blue Gourami (trichogaster), and their frozen sections contain whole Clown Knives, Tin-Foil barbs, Weather loaches (anguillicaudatus), and a handful of other commonly kept aquarium species, but I have yet to man up and try them.

I'm in Pennsylvania, and have eaten almost every gamefish that swims in the Northeastern part of the USA.
Pike - delicious, but very bony.
Muskie - same
Largemouth bass - excellent, especially when caught in cold water.
Smallmouth bass - not as good as Largemouth, but tasty enough.
Kentucky Bass - about like Smallmouth
Striped Bass - excellent!
Hybrid Striped bass - just ok
Walleye - outstanding
Sauger - as good as Walleye
Bluegill and similar relatives - Bluegill is the best of the bunch and worth the effort of cleaning a bunch
Yellow Perch - almost as good as Walleye
Crappie - tied with Yellow Perch
Flathead catfish - 18" and smaller is just about the best-tasting fish in freshwater
Channel catfish - good
Bullhead catfish - very tasty fried
Gar - never tried
Carp - good when cooked right; I like them grilled
Trout - not a fan except for Brown trout when smoked, then it's great
Steelhead - also must be smoked, otherwise terrible!
Bowfin - strong, love or hate flavor. I love it!
Burbot - Haven't tried
Paddlefish - haven't tried
Gizzard Shad - strong but not bad. Eaten as sushi overseas

What's been on your plate?

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
I saw Sleeper Gobies in an asian market once, but blue gouramis, tinfoil barbs and clown knives? No thanks.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have enjoyed barracuda while vacationing in the Bahamas.....very tasty.

Reactions: Ryryryry

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Deep fried stonefish is the best!!!

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I live in Kuwait, so silver pomfret, grouper and other local fish. Imported Turkish sea bass is also good, but I prefer our local fish

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Also, pomfret should always be pan fried and cooked with rice (مطبق), doesn't do well on the grill. Most fish taste the best when cooked with rice in the traditional Kuwaiti way. Some others have thick skin and do better on coal. Also we have a small fish we call (ميد), pronounced 'maid' that is delicious when grilled, I think it's called mullet in English but I'm not sure.
But the no 1 fish is the silver pomfret and after that the grouper, those two are the most sought after fish in our market

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Also, pomfret should always be pan fried and cooked with rice (مطبق), doesn't do well on the grill. Most fish taste the best when cooked with rice in the traditional Kuwaiti way. Some others have thick skin and do better on coal. Also we have a small fish we call (ميد), pronounced 'maid' that is delicious when grilled, I think it's called mullet in English but I'm not sure.
But the no 1 fish is the silver pomfret and after that the grouper, those two are the most sought after fish in our market

What species is "pomfret"?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store