Soaking food in medication???

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I have read numerous times on here there are people who actually soak their fish's food in medications and I never thought I needed to, but I have noticed after various treatments of different meds, all my Green Terrors (and ONLY them, but NONE of their tankmates) still have white stringy fecal matter. They don't seem very excited at feeding time and really aren't crazy about pellets in general, but they are quite fond of frozen clams, blood worms, Silversides, etc.

Is this something GTs are prone to and none of my other species?

Any advice on what to soak the food in before feeding them and is it my only option at this point? I assume it's pretty far-gone so i'm thinking this would be the most direct approach and best course of action.

What do you guys do for white stringy feces and WHY did the Green Terrors, 4 of them in 3 different tanks none-the-less retain it after dosing w/ Paraguard, Polyguard, standard Parasite Clear tablets, etc.???? I have plenty of medication, but I don't want to keep using something that hasn't worked this far.

I seem to remember "Kanaplex" or something similar sounding???? Am I on the right track?

pops pops duanes duanes RD. RD. Oddball Oddball P predatorkeeper87 Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 dan518 dan518 Andy woods cichlids uk Andy woods cichlids uk wednesday13 wednesday13 JK47 JK47 Charney Charney Wailua Boy Wailua Boy Aquanero Aquanero and anyone else who is experienced with this type of medicating

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Have they been treated with metro?
yes, metronidazole is one of the main ingredients in my Parasite Clear tablets

Kanaplex a bacterial/fungas treatment, link.
http://www.seachem.com/kanaplex.php

for internal parasites can soak a pellet or what ever in http://www.seachem.com/paraguard.php

or http://www.seachem.com/polyguard.php straight in the water, follow dosage as it will DMG your bio filter if over dosed and not to be fed in food, external use only.
So I used the Para/Polyguard in the water, but I really should have been soaking the pellets in it?

How long should I do this? Which do you prefer for the "White Stringy Feces"? What even causes it, I assume internal parasites?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
How about wormer like Prazipro and/or levamisole, fenbendazole
This is what I have already used on them
tetraparasiteguard.jpg
The 4 active ingredients are Praziquantel, Metronidazole, Acriflavin, Diflubenzuron.

I do HAVE Fenbendazole, but it is in the form of a white gel/paste - Panacur/Safe-Guard is what I have been using for reptiles for years......IDK how if possible to administer something like that to fish......I don't see the gel/paste form being soaked up by anything besides a stomach lining :( Agreed?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I have not used them so have no opinion on them. para/polygaurd are 2 dif meds. para is safe for your bio filter and can be ingested by the fish in food, poly is the next step up. not what I would consider safe for ingestion.

Reactions: Frank Castle

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
tetra products crap, IMHO

Reactions: Frank Castle

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Have you tried a Epsom salt solution, if I remember rightly it's 1 table spoon of salt to 15 ml of water then just soak the pellets in it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store