Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Well,

View attachment 1345136

2.5' it is then!

Here's a tentative drawing I did showing the proportions of the tank when combined with the shelves and ladder. The dimensions of the drawing are correct. TBH I may not do the shelving as idk how expensive cabinetry is. It's possible that making this nonsense could be $20,000; and if I wanted to spend that much, I'd just get a bigger tank.

Still though, I think the 130x2.5x2.5 with the free low iron upgrade is the ticket for me! Just gotta talk to my builder to see how feasible the finish work around it will be.

View attachment 1345137
Being in the industry now a custom stand and cabinet that’s furniture grade especially being little over 10’ custom wood would EASILY run you well over 20k and even more depending on the wood

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Being in the industry now a custom stand and cabinet that’s furniture grade especially being little over 10’ custom wood would EASILY run you well over 20k and even more depending on the wood
Really? I’d do it for 6g and ship it!! Fabricated metal stand by a journeyman welder wrapped in your choice! maple, oak, pine, you choose!

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Really? I’d do it for 6g and ship it!! Fabricated metal stand by a journeyman welder wrapped in your choice! maple, oak, pine, you choose!
Are you trying to put me out of business?!!!:banhim:. We did a custom stand for a 60g out of oak, cost around 1400. :X

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
You can save a few thousand by going to goodwill, and buying coffee tables with glass tops, use the glass tops as the front panes only, since you will not be peering thru the back or sides of the tank.
Since you don't want to build it yourself have someone younger build it for you
(I'm sure you can find a place with young people's, hmmmmm:drool:)
Great advise for potentially ruining his house. Considering that most coffee table glass top is 1/4 thick and to allocate enough SAME SIZE glass top from goodwill is just not realistic.. and the Frankenstein job of Mickey mousing all those pieces together that will offer zero structural integrity and most likely blow out... yah... I’m sure you can cut the bottom out of glass bottles to piece enough glass to make a front pane of a 500 GALLON TANK....
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/quality-over-quantity.710143/

Reactions: Hendre

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
GOOD LORD!

That's wild! Guess the shelves may have to wait.

That's still way more than I want to spend TBH. I can see this whole project getting nixed and me just buying a used 300, which is what I was planning to do anyway lol

Great advise for potentially ruining his house. Considering that most coffee table glass top is 1/4 thick and to allocate enough SAME SIZE glass top from goodwill is just not realistic.. and the Frankenstein job of Mickey mousing all those pieces together that will offer zero structural integrity and most likely blow out... yah... I’m sure you can cut the bottom out of glass bottles to piece enough glass to make a front pane of a 500 GALLON TANK....
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/quality-over-quantity.710143/
I'm about 100% certain this was intended as a joke ;)

Reactions: Dloks and Matteus

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
GOOD LORD!

That's still way more than I want to spend TBH. I can see this whole project getting nixed and me just buying a used 300, which is what I was planning to do anyway lol

Shhhh we can fool him longer.

Make sure to cut all the glass into 6 inch prices for better structural integrity, if you eat cheetos, wear sandals and drink beeerr it'll be safer, and you can make a scrapbook out of all the in-laws and exes

Reactions: Matteus

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Shhhh we can fool him longer.

Make sure to cut all the glass into 6 inch prices for better structural integrity, if you eat cheetos, wear sandals and drink beeerr it'll be safer, and you can make a scrapbook out of all the in-laws and exes
It’s tough to know what’s a joke and what’s serious on this forum anymore.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Are you trying to put me out of business?!!!:banhim:. We did a custom stand for a 60g out of oak, cost around 1400. :X
I undercharge! I finish off stands for people for around $500 on top of the metal fabrication. Last one I did was for a 300 gallon. Added doors, trim, wrapped in maple $500

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
GOOD LORD!

Just think how beautiful your full grown gatf’s will look turning around at full speed in the 32” deep 500:hearts:....

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I've been pondering this far more than is really rational, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to go with an 8' tank and put the shelves next to it, as opposed to an 11' tank with shelves above it. This will move me from a 130x30x30" 500 gallon to a 96x36x36 540 gallon.

This is dependent on my making the black Friday sale they've got going however, as shipping is deadly.

Might reach out to a local company about the 8' tanks as well.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store