Southern Ontario goldfish invasion

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
My pond used to have a goldfish problem before I dropped in a few northern pike and bass.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I thought it was going to be an actual blueprint or drawing of how the ponds were interconnected and linked to the streams and such.
I don't see the issue you refer to as that is not an actual drawing of what is happening in real life. That is a representative drawing to help inform the public on how it is supposed to work and why it's important to not disturb it. The only thing I can think of is in the pic the out pipe is open? It has to be open if it clogs it will overflow the pond and ruin why it's there.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All species of carp are invasive in N America.
Here in Panama, in Lake Gatun, Cichla (Peacock bass) Oscars and Tilapines are the biggest invasive problems, luckily they are eaten by the locals, but yet...these invaders have over time almost wiped out the endemic cichlids in the lake.
Below a photo of a Tilapa infested lake in the central highlands.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I would guess nearly every country in the world has a problem with carp/goldfish being released and taking over.
We have plenty of them here, all across the country, if you catch one while fishing its the law that you have to kill it and not throw it back. Theres an old quarry near me that has been turned into a lake and park and you can see huge carp cruising around in it. It doesnt connect to any other waterways but even the local creek has them, all the vietnamese guys catch them and eat them. Even when they pull out one that looks still looks like a goldfish im shocked at how big they are.
In the warmer northern states theres small populations of convicts and other cichlids too, luckily its a bit cold here for them down here.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In the uk we have common carp, mirror carp, leather carp, crucian carp, grass carp, koi carp, wild carp, and goldfish. Carp fishing, because of the immense fight this powerful fish puts up, is massive in the uk, a huge industry. Carp seem to have been around for ever but of course once you look into it they are indeed an invasive species. They came to the uk around the 15th century. The well to do types, who had ponds in their gardens, introduced carp from Asia as a food fish, carp was considered a delicacy. But of course they eventually got into the uk waterways and the rest is history.

One thing I didn't realise though was that although carp can live in very cold temps, they have had to adapt to this rather than it being natural for them, because in actual fact they are a warm water fish. I found that hard to believe but it fits in with where they originate from, the far east. Also we all know that fish grow bigger in warmer water. This fits in with what we find in the uk. Our record carp is 60lb plus I believe, but in Europe, where the water is warmer, the carp grow huge. So much so that British anglers go there to catch their dream fish.

My favorite carp is the crucian carp, the smallest, and most beautiful imo. I don't care for the rest much, not from a fishing point of view, and certainly not from an eating point of view. Yuk!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store