Stocking advice + "plant-safe" SA cichlids?

CountSummon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
Hello everyone,

I recently added fish to my 2 m/6.5 ft, 650 l/180 g planted aquarium which holds a variety of Anubias, java ferns and Echinodorus osiris, the latter of which has been anchored down. For filtration I am using 2x 1800 l/hr (= 514 g/hr) external filters.

My current stocking is:
1x Hypselecara temporalis
1x Astronotus ocellatus
1x Semaprochilodus taeniurus
6x Geophagus altifrons.
Currently, all of these fish are still juveniles.

My question is twofold:

- In your opinions, is there still space in this aquarium for more fish?
- Which SA cichlids that are not included in my current stocking list are compatible with both the current fish and the plant species I used (or at least have a relatively low chance of destroying the tank!)

All opinions and insights are very much appreciated!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello everyone,

I recently added fish to my 2 m/6.5 ft, 650 l/180 g planted aquarium which holds a variety of Anubias, java ferns and Echinodorus osiris, the latter of which has been anchored down. For filtration I am using 2x 1800 l/hr (= 514 g/hr) external filters.

My current stocking is:
1x Hypselecara temporalis
1x Astronotus ocellatus
1x Semaprochilodus taeniurus
6x Geophagus altifrons.
Currently, all of these fish are still juveniles.

My question is twofold:

- In your opinions, is there still space in this aquarium for more fish?
- Which SA cichlids that are not included in my current stocking list are compatible with both the current fish and the plant species I used (or at least have a relatively low chance of destroying the tank!)

All opinions and insights are very much appreciated!
Welcome aboard

I personally wouldn't add any more fish especially Cichlids. Those Cichlids Fully mature will make the180 gallon seem small.
Cichlids require space for territory.

CountSummon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
Welcome aboard

I personally wouldn't add any more fish especially Cichlids. Those Cichlids Fully mature will make the180 gallon seem small.
Cichlids require space for territory.
Thank you for your reply!

Theoretically, do you know of any SA non-cichlid species that are less territorial and could fit the criteria?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I know most fish won't eat Anubius but some Cichlids like to destroy displays like the Oscar especially if plants are buried. The Altifrons will be sifting the substrate so any plants roots may be exposed .

Reactions: CountSummon

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with the others, because the fish are young now, the tank appears uncrowded, but in 6 to 8 months that won't be the case.
Although cichlids "are" territorial, (which is why most advise tends against more cichlids")"most" tetras are not territorial.
But the oscar limits your choices because it will eat any that fit in is mouth.
The Geo's are far less less predatory, and prefer small foods.
I have kept Geo's in planted tanks, without problems, as long as large, open, sandy areas are also provided.
Although the species below are not the same as yours, they get the same size, and are in a 6 ft tank.

Last edited:

CountSummon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
Thank you all for the replies!

Maybe a bit of extra info on the aquarium for those interested:

I have built my scape in such a way as to maximize the sand area so the Geo's have ample room to forage and swim while having two big mangrove-like wood pieces planted with epiphytes to provide plenty of cover. I've also taken extra care to make sure the line of sight throughout the tank is broken up and that it has hiding spaces for different sizes of fish. I would link a picture but I saw that new users shouldn't post links on the forum...

Hopefully my aquarium layout will make the aquarium suitable for my fish in the longer term. I most likely won't be adding any more fish and definitely not any big ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store