stocking regarding Gymnothorax Polyuranodon or freshwater moray eel

originality loss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2019
Australia
Hey guys! First post here :)

So my 7ft is going up soon and I've been thinking about adding an eel to my stocking because I'm very interested in them and one has come up for sale in my area which is decently rare. I've been doing some research to try and make sure I know what I'm getting into before possibly getting one but there aren't loads of sources and from the ones I have found there's somewhat contradicting information not to mention most of the sources have info from the 2000's.... I'm not sure how valid it is now. Some sites and experiences say they aren't fully freshwater and some suggest keeping them in brackish set ups while some say they can live in freshwater without issues or even that they travel to marine water to breed, however I'm not interested in breeding them anyway. The general consensus from my research was that they do live in freshwater but they do travel between estuaries and marine habitats? I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them here or knows of any more current sources and would like to chip in any info?

If they can live in freshwater my second question would be if they would be okay with my stocking. Its a 280 gallon tank (7ft x 70cm x 70cm) so its a decent size imo with two fluval Fx6 canisters. I would provide lots of hiding areas so everyone has somewhere to retreat if feeling stressed etc. I would be stocking with a largish school of clown loaches, 2 Senegal bichirs, a Uaru, an Oscar, a polleni and a school of silver sharks and possibly a pleco however if you guys think an eel would be okay in the set up I don't think I would get a pleco just because I have my doubts about them being together... Im going to put the clowns and the sharks in first to grow them out a bit so they should be decently sized in comparison to the eel considering he's only a 20cm baby but again I would rather be safe than sorry and grow them out first so they aren't viewed as food. I've seen positive accounts of hobbyists keeping their eels with both cichlids and loaches but I have also seen some people who disagree. I wanted to see what everyone thought of the idea?

If I did get the eel and found any issues between any of the tank mates, I would look into rehoming him or returning him but I also believe that not all fish are the same and what works for one may not work for another so I would like to see what the general consensus is first before possibly diving in! In saying that, I'm only researching at the moment. Don't wanna do something stupid and regret it later lol.

I was on another forum and was suggested to come here as there didn't seem to be any people with experience with G. Polyuranodon there, however brackish water was mentioned in an experience with G. tile.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
G polyuranodon is pure freshwater. The tankmates should be fine. Should be bigger than the size of their mouths. Think want to keep a designated area for the eels and avoid other fish trying to get in their to reduce any potential probs. I’d be cautious with the Oscar.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

The only concern I have with the Moray Eel and your stock is getting food. You may have to target feed until the eel gets adjusted to the new environment also make sure Moray is not to small and thin
as kno4te kno4te stated or it may become a expensive snack also agree about the Oscar. I recommend a hideout for the Eel they feel more secure with one.

originality loss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2019
Australia
Thanks for your responses so far!!

If I grow the eel out before putting in the Oscar do you guys think that would work okay?? So the best course of action if I were to get him would be growing out the loaches and silver sharks first before introducing the eel and then growing him out before thinking of putting anyone else in the tank? I was planning to get a reptile cave as well as some pipes because I already have lots of driftwood. A couple terracotta pots are going in too. With the retile cave the loaches would be the only ones the could probably get in until they grow a bit larger.

I was planning on feeding him assorted foods on tongs like shrimp, mussel etc. and I think I would continue to do that just because that way I know he's getting his fair share and I can monitor what he's eating. I think I saw somewhere that they shouldn't be fed everyday? Whats everyones experience/opinion on this? If he was getting a bit thin, I would obviously increase feeds to get him to a healthy weight but as a rough idea how often would you suggest feeding him?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Pipes or driftwood with dense plants in the wood will work. Grow the other fish out or buy as adults. These eels are brought over a foot usually. Still would pass on the Oscar though. Just don’t want any possibility of a aggressive fish. Think feeding daily is fine. As long as it matches the grow rate. If growing then feed daily. If bellies are full and Not completely digested then hold feeds. Daily to every other day would be fine. Target feeding will be needed likely with those tankmates unless just dumping food everywhere.

originality loss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2019
Australia
Okay thank you! I should be thinking along the lines of anubias, java fern, java moss right? I will have a look and try research what sort of plants are found with them in the wild. I'm not 100% sure how big he is at the moment but the site of the aquarium says roughly 20cm (around 8 inches) so a little under a foot... am yet to see him in person though! I'm planning on heading down on Thursday (tomorrow) to have a look if all goes to planned, however if I do decide to purchase him, I don't think it would be that soon :p

Reactions: tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Polleni can also be a bit territorial from my experience with them, so maybe skip the oscar and polleni if you want to do the eel...

they are great fish to keep but require a ton of patience as it can take a while for them to settle and get eating, not to mention till they teach around 24” or more, they can be rather slender and may look like a snack to a hungry larger fish...

as for water requirements, i kept 3 in full fresh for years without problem till i had to sell them due to moving...

also, as a side note, make sure to cover every single opening that a fish can get out the tank from no matter how small as these guys are true escape artist and will squeeze out of crevices you didnt think possible...

I had one once escape between the filter inlets / return pipes from the top of the tank lid till i sealed it off... so just make sure you take precautions there

as for feeding, as i mentioned before, it will take time, but once you get them eating they will grow reasonably well but still takes time to put on some girth depending on the size you get them at...

originality loss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2019
Australia
At the moment the polleni usually keeps to himself as well as the oscar. In saying that, I understand their current behaviour is not guaranteed to stay the same and if they feel peckish I wouldn't want to put it past them, my Oscar specifically just because of the size of his mouth even as a young fish.

I've heard they can be a bit tricky to feed! If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to get them to eat? I will be asking the aquarium lots of questions too to see if their knowledge lines up with what I've researched and heard from you guys! It would be best to inquire what he's currently eating as well! That is if he is eating for them...

Ah, I read that they reached 1.5m (59") but I did a quick search and turns out they commonly reach 24” like you mentioned.

I will certainly be getting tight fitting lids regardless of whether I get him or not! I've been recommended that on the other forum as well and any eel seems to be a true escape artist! But I also thought it would be good for the silver sharks as they can have a tendency to be jumpy... however it should be reduced a bit when they're in a school.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
At the moment the polleni usually keeps to himself as well as the oscar. In saying that, I understand their current behaviour is not guaranteed to stay the same and if they feel peckish I wouldn't want to put it past them, my Oscar specifically just because of the size of his mouth even as a young fish.

I've heard they can be a bit tricky to feed! If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to get them to eat? I will be asking the aquarium lots of questions too to see if their knowledge lines up with what I've researched and heard from you guys! It would be best to inquire what he's currently eating as well! That is if he is eating for them...

Ah, I read that they reached 1.5m (59") but I did a quick search and turns out they commonly reach 24” like you mentioned.

I will certainly be getting tight fitting lids regardless of whether I get him or not! I've been recommended that on the other forum as well and any eel seems to be a true escape artist! But I also thought it would be good for the silver sharks as they can have a tendency to be jumpy... however it should be reduced a bit when they're in a school.
Keep in mind cichlids can change as they get older. You may get something different as an adult. These will and can get over 3ft in Home aquariums if taken care of properly. Not too tricky to feed but feeding tongs will help and readily take food if water is clean.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I have looked into those eels quite a bit as well, that eel will have no problem in 100% freshwater but I would confirm what the importer/store currently has the eel in (if it’s brackish or fresh) cause you’ll want to do a long acclimation if it’s in a mix. Tlindsey is right about the feeding, I read multiple accounts on this forum about someones eel being outfed by more aggressive tankmates as they can be very shy. I would also escape proof the lids and avoid any hang over back filters. I know you said you’ll have two fx6s but my current experience would tell you to add a sponge filter ?

Steve’s exotic fish shop online has a 12 inch for $200 and a 7-8 inch for $120 btw! Good reference for size/price! Let us know and please post a pic if you do!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store