Storage of media while modifying sump

peteagem

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
Nj
I have a 300 gallon running off a eshopes 30 gallon sump and an fx5. I wanted to remove media from the sump and to add baffles as the sump is open in the center from previous owners reef set up.
The sump has only been running for a few weeks. The established fx5 was previously used on a 125 with the same 3 fish from my old set up and moved straight over to the 300. My question is what would be the recommended way to store my media from the sump while modifying it? I also want to add a set up above the sump for a drip tray and try to double the amount of media and have it overflow to the sump. I can only go up with sump design as my 50g fresh water storage container and fx5 take up the rest of the tank stand
Thanks

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The last time I was doing a job where I needed to remove my bio media I just placed it in a plastic tote, filled it up with tank water and put a small powerhead in for oxygenation. That was just for a few hours though. If your media is going to be isolated for a lot longer then i'd also add a heater and maybe a source of food.

Ideally you'd get a tote big enough and put your fish in AND your bio media whilst you do your work.

Reactions: Zanzag and peteagem

Yaponchik

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
SEA
I am assuming you'll have water out for a couple of days (sump overhaul using silicone on your new baffles)

If so, get an air disc, run an airline to it, place it on the bottom of your display tank, and put all your media in media bags (if they aren't already)

Then dump them on top of the air disc and run the maximum volume of air. It would be like you never switched off your sump (ensure that you run powerheads or wavemakers during this time, if you aren't already). Waste by-product will visibly build up beneath the media bags, and there is a potential for slime but that's OK, you can clean up afterward or do water changes daily. The reason for the air disc is to ensure that water circulates between your media and doesn't create anaerobic zones (if you don't run an air stone for example, your nitrosomonas+nitrobacter housed in the media is going to gobble up all oxygen in the stagnated chambers causing spots devoid of oxygen.)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just a thought, why do you feel you need baffles?
I started running sumps in the 80s, and found a sump works no better with them, than without them.
Baffles often create dead spots where detritus can build up, and as far as maintenance is concerned, baffles can be a restricting factor, lessening working space.
So I put bio media in mesh bags, and for about 20 years stopped using baffles altogether.

BullyBee

Exodon
MFK Member
Just a thought, why do you feel you need baffles?
I started running sumps in the 80s, and found a sump works no better with them, than without them.
Baffles often create dead spots where detritus can build up, and as far as maintenance is concerned, baffles can be a restricting factor, lessening working space.
So I put bio media in mesh bags, and for about 20 years stopped using baffles altogether.
how would he go about doing mechanical media in a baffle-less sump?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store