Wulfonce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ontario
meh this is an easy situation

1- make sure it is what you say it is

2- find the reciept for the fish

3- go to said LFS and tell them you want your money back. Don't ask tell. If he gets lippy, drop the bomb that its an illegal fish and if he doesn't give him your money back, the police/whoever deals with this will be back with him tomorrow

4- profit

if you don't want to do that... kill the fish. people who house illegal fish just bring problems to all other fish keepers. Be responsible... suck it up and do it.
:iagree: with the above minus the killing part. Killing is a hard thing to do well. Of course if it goes on for weeks or months then it might be the only option.

I have herd that freezing is actually very painful for the fish as ice crystals can form on the skin minuets before its actually dead. Unless you held the fish underwater some how so its skin would never be exposed to the air. :confused:

Eupterus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2006
Bennington, VT
Excluding dire circumstances , set up a tank and keep the fish as best you can.
I feel if someone purchased or adopted a pet, it's up to them to do the best they can. If they lose interest and nobody wants them, they are still responsible for the pet's wellbeing.
I do not like the idea that a pet is a throw a way item when you lose interest.

Mr.Kiet

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Syracuse, NY
LowCel;2992767; said:
You could always try the nice and firm approach as well as letting them know that you are aware that they sold you an illegal fish. Just go back to the fish store and tell them that you purchased an illegal fish from them and you do not feel right keeping it. You don't want any problems so you would appreciate it if they would take the fish back and just give you store credit. To me credit at a lfs is just as good as real money.

By being reasonable and not taking any real money out of their pocket it may help you to avoid a stressful situation. If that doesn't work freeze it then throw it through their window. ;)
:iagree:

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
gobucks1;2993324; said:
Pretty sure he's in Canada anyway. So it's not illegal.
Your right I am in Canada, but I am in Ontario, the only province that doesn't allow to keep snakehead

Its just a concern.. not like I have it!

They come and go fast at my lfs, so there must be some people with a huge collection somewhere in southern Ontario, or some people who purchased them of thinking that they are different species of fish.. ;)

Thank you for all the input ^^

I use to see arapima giga for sale here, $150 each but didn't know they required a license to keep

so an uneducated person visit one of these exotic lfs in Ontario might wind up with a lot of illegal posession

Eg. If you drive 30mins in any direction away from Toronto, you can keep Caimen... but you can't keep Caimen in Toronto itself, AND you can buy a living Caimen in a reptile store inside Toronto

..... Dumb? >.>;;

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
to cover your own but (if this fish really existed and this wasnt just hypothetical) trying to pull rank on the store could very easily be turned back on you if it came down to it..
killing it yourself may not be something you want to go through (cant blame you for that some people are not made to kill) your best option would be to turn it over to fish and wildlife (or whatever they have in canada)..
this could also bite you in the butt because they are obviously going to want to know where you got it from and if you tell them it was your lfs it could result in trouble for them... but if you had a story about it coming in as a baby with some other legal fish from somewhere that its legal to have SH then maybe that could be a good story.... maybe...

either way.. cover yer butt...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store