Sudden Ray Death? ... Could it be Hyperplasia?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Has anyone ever considered the concept of "rolling ammonia spikes" ... (which over time could lead to hyperplasia)

This would have to do with your turnover ratio - ie: the gph your filtration produces and the amount of (clean) biological media.. also the volume of water you are working with.

Perhaps after each feeding their is a spike in ammonia, only to be slowly filtered out over time by your biomedia. You could be testing the water during a specific time-frame while your ammonia rises and falls before you test it.

Just another consideration to mysterious ray health issues..

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
well its getting very interesting but i have a few thoughts on this as well.

first off joey your taking things a little too personal and need to start thinking outside the box, and stop taking things personally. he is not trying to offend you just haveing a good discussion.

from what i read i believe miles is saying that hyperplasia caused by the high ammonia/ammonia poisoning are working together to kill the ray, and once the ray takes a dump in the bag that spikes it up alot higher at that one time to pretty much give it the kill blow during long transit times. not just your overnight deliveries but the ones that take longer. 8 rays in one bag do produce alot of ammonia but that one dump will spike it up fast.

another thing is is that i think retics and hystrix are great beginner rays. if bought at the right size and from the right people. I'm sure grapedinox's will be just fine to the right people as they havent went through all that stress from being cought and shipped way too small. as that is alot of stress for such a small ray that alot of times they just wont be able to handle it. but buy a captive bred one or a bigger healthy one and have some general knowledge of rays and it will do just fine. I have had both and found out after you get them parasite free and eating things go great from there. but too many beginners see this $25 ray and dont know what they are doing and buy ones that arent eating and very stressed out in the first place. so usually we will not tell beginners to cheap and to buy the more hardy motoros.

i also think that this is more of a cause with the wild cought rays rather than the cb since the breeder has more control of the water conditions and a ray never has to go through a long transit time and get use to living in a tank. so it goes to one good living condition to another as long as the buyer knows how to keep clean water and practice good habits. so i would think hyperplasia would be more common in wild cought rather than captive bred as long as the captive bred rays live in good conditions.

and last but not least is David instead of just being an ass in all of your posts why dont you actually contribute to the threads you post in instead of just belittle people and take away from the threads you post in. I'm very tired of seeing your snide remarks when you seem to know so much but dont try to help in any way. You have a chance to do so in this thread so why dont you add in a good way to the thread and help us continue and further our ray keeping knowledge instead of post the little comments that you do. it gets old fast to see someone that can help the hobby out in a good way instead of being a jerk on a high horse with nothing to prove on this forum. you always like to think you know more than everyone else yet you wont help anyone unless it makes you feel big about yourself. sorry but it needed to be said and i hope that someday maybe i can start learning from your posts rather than just get pissed off.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
Miles;4760879; said:
Has anyone ever considered the concept of "rolling ammonia spikes" ... (which over time could lead to hyperplasia)

This would have to do with your turnover ratio - ie: the gph your filtration produces and the amount of (clean) biological media.. also the volume of water you are working with.

Perhaps after each feeding their is a spike in ammonia, only to be slowly filtered out over time by your biomedia. You could be testing the water during a specific time-frame while your ammonia rises and falls before you test it.

Just another consideration to mysterious ray health issues..
on top of that also where you test your water at will sometimes test different not just different times. like top of the tank or bottom of the tank, or main tank or sump tank. sometimes depending these will give you different results depending on your water flow and flow rate.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
I agree with what jeffers has said. Although, I'm beginning to think the other way around. Like miles has mentioned, in captivity, we might possibly have a spike after every feeding without knowing. This continual irritation causes continual hyperplasia which may lead to death.
On the other hand if we take a look at the WC rays, the rays would die from ammonia poisoning before hyperplasia kills them. Of course, I'm just taking a guess as I have no idea how much or how long it takes for ammonia to kill compared to hyperplasia. Even with the pH in the bag continuing to drop along with the temp I still think ammonia in the bag will kill before hyperplasia.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
David mentioned this in post #7 :

Hyperplasia in fish seems to be an effect, not a cause. If your rays are dying of this then it is probably the owners fault through bad husbandry

I mentioned this in post # 4:

Now we know what causes it...

Threw the links provided, we now know what it is, and that it is an effect, not a cause.

That was cleared up at the very start of the thread.

Based on the fact that we now know what causes it... it can be prevented.

Miles made the point, and gave ideal scenarios where this could happen. Mentioning wild caught rays a lot. Stating they are shipped/imported in horrible conditions. Theres nothing we can do about that. There are many long term effects on a ray, that will follow it based on being handled like that. hyperplasia only being one of them. But what he said applies to wild caught rays.. most of us now have captive bred from what i have seen. They are not going to go threw what miles mentioned wild caught rays do.

We can only prevent this from happening in our own tanks. We prevent this from happening in our own tanks by having proper sized tanks/filtration, and doing plenty of water changes. Keeping the water in pristine condition.

Sudden death means the ray died suddenly obviously. The ray died because of what ever caused it to die got worse. Or they rays immune system broke down, and could not keep up any more(possibly). Rays can still live out there entire life while still having hyperplasia. If it doesn't get any worse, the ray is fine. It shouldn't get any worse if the keeper is providing properly for that ray.

What this means, is if you get a wild caught ray, and it arrives alive. Your already ahead of the game. Once acclimated, i see no reason for a ray to randomly die other than poor husbandry. Might even be diet, who knows. I know alot of us feed fatty foods... perhaps this sudden death is a liver failure or something along those lines as well. All we can do is provide properly for the ray and hope we are doing it right.

Basically the way i feel about this issue is the same as if someone said "my ray died from ammonia poison"

Ok, we know what that is, and how to prevent it....

Same with hyperplasia now. We know what it is, and how to prevent.... seams like conditions and where the ray came from/how it was handled have to be just right for it to happen though...

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
i like where you went with this joey, but what about the times when we do have spikes from just the things that get past us like power outages, feeding times, using meds and so forth. will these cells build up over time?
for the captive bred rays yes it would take alot longer but its still a possibility. but in a wc if these cells are already there from being mishandled and everything else this would happen faster.
now that we are talking out of the bag and in our aquariums for a long period of time and can rule out ammonnia poisoning being the cause of death. if its in the bag its pretty much well going to be ammonia that gets it first but in a stable environment like our tanks what about the things we cant control.
like a power outage and generator failures, food getting sucked up and staying in the filter and we dont realize it and everything else that life throws our way? could these be possibilities?
what about the people that have had a ray die on them that has been in their aquarium for 8 months +. and had a ray die for seemingly no reason. i would really like to hear from them.

I also agree with what you are saying on fatty foods. thats a big factor as well that could end a rays life early

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
i like where you went with this joey, but what about the times when we do have spikes from just the things that get past us like power outages,
A power outage is out of our control..... BUT we can be prepared for one.

feeding times
We have to feed, so ammonia spikes cannot be avoided during that time. What we can do is insure we are feeding proper amounts of food. And turn the filters off until food is gone can help. Food does not turn into ammonia fast enough to cause the rays an issue. It will be eaten by then. Turning the filters off helps with the food from not getting sucked into the filter, and makes sure it can be eaten of removed instead of polluting the system.

using meds and so forth
Meds should not be used until we know what we are treating for. For the most part, rays are treated internal parasites. Which generally dont harm the bacteria anyways. This should happen in a QT tank. The main ray tank should never have parasites if everything was properly QT'd prior to adding it to the system. Any other meds, for injuries and not needed for rays. Good clean water is all they need to heal.

will these cells build up over time?
Possibly, but probably not, if we are practicing good husbandry.

for the captive bred rays yes it would take alot longer but its still a possibility. but in a wc if these cells are already there from being mishandled and everything else this would happen faster.
Agreed

now that we are talking out of the bag and in our aquariums for a long period of time and can rule out ammonnia poisoning being the cause of death.
No we cannot. The result of the death MAY be hyperplasia, but leading up to that was ammonia. If the ray has survived the trip home, and is doing fine for a few months, then dies all of a sudden. Something else went wrong... my guess would be that more ammonia was in the system in large enough amounts to make the hyperplasia worse. I say ammonia, as that would probably be the most common cause in an aquarium. Again... probably preventable.

if its in the bag its pretty much well going to be ammonia that gets it first but in a stable environment like our tanks what about the things we cant control.
like a power outage and generator failures, food getting sucked up and staying in the filter and we dont realize it and everything else that life throws our way? could these be possibilities?
We cannot control when a power outage happens... but like i said, we can prepare for one.

Food getting sucked into the filter? I addressed that above.. turn the filters off during feeding. The rays will consume all of the food before it has a chance to have an effect of the water quality.

What about the other things life throws our way?? Be well prepared is all i can say. We cant control everything, but we do control quite a bit.

what about the people that have had a ray die on them that has been in their aquarium for 8 months +. and had a ray die for seemingly no reason. i would really like to hear from them.
Answered that above already...

I also agree with what you are saying on fatty foods. thats a big factor as well that could end a rays life early
Thats a whole other topic right there:

Are we feeding the right foods? What are the long term effects of it?

Do we feed simply because shrimp,fish fillets, or pellets are more readily accessible, and generally cheaper than what a ray would eat in the wild? As in worms, small live animals, small crustaceans, etc..

Could THIS be the reason for sudden death?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
jeffers;4760913; said:
and last but not least is David instead of just being an ass in all of your posts why dont you actually contribute to the threads you post in instead of just belittle people and take away from the threads you post in.
No need to name call and get this thread closed. Next time you will get an infraction...

Thanks for not fueling the flames everybody.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
* SIGH *

Forget it, I dont have time to babysit this thread....CLOSED!!!

STOP TALKING.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store