Suggestions for 100 gallon

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
What about porthole or hoplo catfish school or a herd of giant brochis. Or some chalceus for the top?

Reactions: Ash02

Ash02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2019
Texas
Have you considered if the spot you choose for the tank can support the weight?
Once you break 100 gallon we are talking a thousand pounds plus. Is the area a solid concrete or your standard floor joist? How old is the house? If joist are you going along the joist or across?

The weight really adds up quickly when you go big.
Water is 8lbs per gallon
The tank is another 200 plus lbs
Stand another 100 or so
50 lbs give or take is rock/misc decor
A pound per gallon of substrate
Filtration weight can vary, sumps being heavier but can plumb them to another location, Hobs and Cans being lighter.

My 125s weight in roughly around 1500lbs.
This room is on the first floor and there is no basement. The floor sits right on the slab foundation. Honestly, if I were to put an aquarium upstairs, I don't think I'd go over 55 gallons.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Well in that case get a 180 6x2x2. Then you can have all that you mention at the beginning, and add some more. Like the Flagtail and a school of catfish like Hopplos or Pictus.

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
If you can deal with the extra 6 inches of depth i'd go with the 180. My wife will not allow me to go out that far thus I'm sticking with the 135. But a 180 opens you up to some potentially larger fish that you can consider

Ash02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2019
Texas
If you can deal with the extra 6 inches of depth i'd go with the 180. My wife will not allow me to go out that far thus I'm sticking with the 135. But a 180 opens you up to some potentially larger fish that you can consider
That is what I'm targeting at this point. I'm investigating the cost and logistics of having something that big. Space-wise, I'm good to go. Are the factory built wood stands reliable for a tank that size?

As far as fish go, I'm pretty excited about doing a severum, flagtail, EBA, 5 geos, and some Columbian tetras . . . And maybe a few pictus cats.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
That is what I'm targeting at this point. I'm investigating the cost and logistics of having something that big. Space-wise, I'm good to go. Are the factory built wood stands reliable for a tank that size?
I got a R&J Enterprises Empire stand for my Aqueon 180. I think they're nicer than the standard LFS stands I've seen.

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017

As far as fish go, I'm pretty excited about doing a severum, flagtail, EBA, 5 geos, and some Columbian tetras . . . And maybe a few pictus cats.
The pressed wood stands are typically fine for large tanks as long as the stand was designed for that size tank. The issue comes in when they start getting wet and overtime they begin to warp. My 135 is currently being held by one of these pressed board stands but I've also glued 2x4's in all the corners and alond the front and back "just in case". I'm also in the middle of building a new stand for it as well. If you have the slightest bit of wood working skills, a nice stand is cheap and simple to build on your own.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Companies will only warrantee a tank sitting on their stand. Something to be mindful of. The aga. Stands are solid- and the bigger size has a removal able slate to install a sump before adding the stand.

I have bought 3 180’s in the past 4 yrs-
Got an AGA with lids, overflow and stand for under 1200 last time. Can usually find a standard tank without overflows for like 800

Ash02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2019
Texas
I've priced out some tanks and stands and so far, everything is still tracking for a 180 gallon. I also did some water testing with a fluval kit and got some surprising results. I live in the Austin, Tx area and was half expecting the gh, kh and pH to be too high for South Americans. Instead, it tested as 100 gh, 40 kh, and 6.5 pH. I believe this would be fine for South American fish, correct?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store