Suitable saltwater sharks?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
I don't see why you couldn't if you had an industrial water tank that you would mix the salt into but you'd have to watch for build up in the lines and salt settling on the bottom plus a few others that I can't seem to remember at the moment.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Could a powerhead fix the issue of salt settling perhaps?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Yea you could even have it on a timer to turn on an hour or so before the auto change begins

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I would imagine that in order to get 2,000 gallons of salt water properly mixed in only 1-2 hours that you would need a very strong pump. If the time given was 24 hours then perhaps a weaker pump could be used.

Am I wrong?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I would imagine that in order to get 2,000 gallons of salt water properly mixed in only 1-2 hours that you would need a very strong pump. If the time given was 24 hours then perhaps a weaker pump could be used.

Am I wrong?
Well I had a 350g water container to premix my salt in. I used a dart to mix the salt and send it to my sump on waterchange day. I tried smaller power heads and it didnt get the job done. Not on that volume anyway. My waterchange day went something like this....open valve and drain 300ish gallons which was what was in the lowest portions of my sump system. Vac reef tanks and pred ponds another 50g ish. Turn off drain valve open valve on mixing container to send water to sump. Watch to make sure dont burn up pump. Shut off pump when container is empty. Dump salt in container was about a box of salt if I remember correctly. Open valve from other 350 storage tank(ro water) fill mixing tank shut valve turn pump on. Done. I did 350g every 2 weeks. More or less. The dart pump alone kept the water at about 74f in the basement. Kept my system around 76 so wasnt a big deal never seemed to cause any issues. But I had cat sharks, corals didnt mind either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store