Sump and Plumbing for my 535. Need help

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
As I’m sitting here tying to figure the ideal setup for these socks, I’m wondering if I should set up four 7” socks, or if two will be enough. I’m thinking of putting two on each rim in that first chamber. Each intake will be T’d off from the two inch pipes to 1” pipes T’d into the filter socks. Would love your opinions.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
As I’m sitting here tying to figure the ideal setup for these socks, I’m wondering if I should set up four 7” socks, or if two will be enough. I’m thinking of putting two on each rim in that first chamber. Each intake will be T’d off from the two inch pipes to 1” pipes T’d into the filter socks. Would love your opinions.
With a tank that size, I would recommend running at least four, maybe six if you can get them set up well.

Reactions: JK47

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Thank you Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis . I’m sure I can fit six in here if I push it but not know how I would get six drain pipes unless they sell adapters to split into three pipes. I’ll have to figure out piping next.

Speaking of which, one of the bulkheads is empty without a pipe but I’m not sure how good it still is. The other two have a cut PVC pipe sticking out. One of the two is very loose. It also looks like the previous owner put som silicone around it and let it dry because I can’t spin it off with my hands. I’ll have to cut these off which seems easy enough on the loose one. I’m wondering how I could do this with the one that is screwed in tight.

How can I remove all these bulkheads without grabbing a saw and mess up the hole back?

Here’s some pics.

7EB73246-B89A-44B9-9574-0F075D1F7CBF.jpeg 122AB8BB-4092-47F1-AC88-8DB44AA4DAD7.jpeg 0D952608-4078-492C-9522-6D925238D1BC.jpeg

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
With a tank that size, I would recommend running at least four, maybe six if you can get them set up well.
Agreed ^ If split fairly evenly (wide margin) the more added, the less frequently they need to be cleaned. If you don’t like filter socks mrrobxc mrrobxc buy a bunch of them.

Reactions: mrrobxc

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thank you Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis . I’m sure I can fit six in here if I push it but not know how I would get six drain pipes unless they sell adapters to split into three pipes. I’ll have to figure out piping next.

Speaking of which, one of the bulkheads is empty without a pipe but I’m not sure how good it still is. The other two have a cut PVC pipe sticking out. One of the two is very loose. It also looks like the previous owner put som silicone around it and let it dry because I can’t spin it off with my hands. I’ll have to cut these off which seems easy enough on the loose one. I’m wondering how I could do this with the one that is screwed in tight.

How can I remove all these bulkheads without grabbing a saw and mess up the hole back?

Here’s some pics.

View attachment 1298375 View attachment 1298376 View attachment 1298377
Silicone on bulkheads is such an ass move... pet peeve

Use a razor blade to cut the silicone so you can get the nut unthreaded. You should definitely swap out with new bulkheads unless they are in stellar shape. Those look rough

To get the bulkhead out I use a 1”x6” strip of rubber to wrap around the threads and a large pair of pliers to hold it. You don’t want to squish it into an Ivan but need a lot of grip to get that but loose.

Edit: the one in the back looks hacksaw time. The above is great for holding it while you saw

Last edited:

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Silicone on bulkheads is such an ass move... pet peeve

Use a razor blade to cut the silicone so you can get the nut unthreaded. You should definitely swap out with new bulkheads unless they are in stellar shape. Those look rough

To get the bulkhead out I use a 1”x6” strip of rubber to wrap around the threads and a large pair of pliers to hold it. You don’t want to squish it into an Ivan but need a lot of grip to get that but loose.

Edit: the one in the back looks hacksaw time. The above is great for holding it while you saw
Thank you. Will do. Is that rubber something I can find at Home Depot?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Agreed ^ If split fairly evenly (wide margin) the more added, the less frequently they need to be cleaned. If you don’t like filter socks mrrobxc mrrobxc buy a bunch of them.
If I have two intake pipes, is there a way to get it split into 3 socks?

Also, I notice one of your intake’s comes down from the bulkhead toward the bottom of your aquarium. How do you prevent a full back siphon if you lose power from the bottom?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thank you. Will do. Is that rubber something I can find at Home Depot?
Any rubber strip around the house will help. It's just to provide friction and increase grip. I bought a 2" rubber coupler from Home Depot and cut a strip from that.

If I have two intake pipes, is there a way to get it split into 3 socks?

Also, I notice one of your intake’s comes down from the bulkhead toward the bottom of your aquarium. How do you prevent a full back siphon if you lose power from the bottom?
The intakes that point down are for the Ultima 2000 pair. That being closed loop, cannot back siphon. Technically it is in a constant state of back siphon. The two lines that overflow into the sump are at the top, gravity fed.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Thank you guys. I like the suggestions and will reach out to the different vendors to take a look at my options. I like the idea of buying a ready-made one and hope I find some that can attach easily to the glass sump.
Yes, the ready holders should fit perfectly on that rimmed glass tanks. You could line them across the end (not sure how wide your sump tank is from the picture). Use can use a PVC T and 45*/90* turns to split the drains amongst the 4-6 socks you are looking to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store