Sunfish tank

Arthur12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2017
I have kept grown Bullheads and watched one eat a 10" Bass (I was ticked). Dollar and Orangespots would be a mere snack.

Pros to collecting- More likely to get an interesting species (hybrid sunfish) or color morph.

Cons to collecting- State regs, disease and transporting them home.

I lean towards collecting, Sunnies are thick in my parts with no size or bag limit regulations and I have a portable live well that I put in truck bed.

And don't forget about a minnow trap for collecting.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I have kept grown Bullheads and watched one eat a 10" Bass (I was ticked). Dollar and Orangespots would be a mere snack.

Pros to collecting- More likely to get an interesting species (hybrid sunfish) or color morph.

I lean towards collecting, Sunnies are thick in my parts with no size or bag limit regulations and I have a portable live well that I put in truck bed.

Arthur12 Arthur12 do you prefer to buy or make your own minnow traps?

I've had a lot more success with homemade clear soda or water bottle traps than the wire type traps

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE

Well that does it for the bullhead.

Suns are the same here. Anything I catch is going to be quarantined and treated.

I haven't thought about a minnow trap.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Its illegal to catch gamefish in traps here, but you can use it for minnows. I can use it to test the waters though without violating the law.

They're so easy to catch on a rod I'm not sweating it.

Arthur12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2017
Viper- I have been using a Gee's minnow trap. What brand do you use

Plenty of non game fish out there that might make their way into a trap that turn out to be outstanding fish in an aquarium.

Worth noting, Bass are shaped (elongated) in a way that is easier for them to be swallowed than sunfish.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Yeah I'm just going to test the waters with a minnow trap soon as the weather clears up.

Bread and cheap dry dog food

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Yeah I'm just going to test the waters with a minnow trap soon as the weather clears up.

Bread and cheap dry dog food
I don't even bait mine, just put them in areas I think fish will be, I do sometimes put food in front of the trap.
Viper- I have been using a Gee's minnow trap. What brand do you use

Plenty of non game fish out there that might make their way into a trap that turn out to be outstanding fish in an aquarium.

Worth noting, Bass are shaped (elongated) in a way that is easier for them to be swallowed than sunfish.
Believe I tried a frabill minnow trap, but it wasn't catching as much as the homemade ones, turns out the fish were simply swimming back out.

P PYRU there are many other fish besides sunfish that can go in your tank, for example lake chubsuckers

Reactions: Arthur12

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I don't even bait mine, just put them in areas I think fish will be, I do sometimes put food in front of the trap.

Believe I tried a frabill minnow trap, but it wasn't catching as much as the homemade ones, turns out the fish were simply swimming back out.

P PYRU there are many other fish besides sunfish that can go in your tank, for example lake chubsuckers
Oh I know I just like sunfish and think it'll be a great display. The more I look at the suckers they can be tough. They have small stomachs and constantly graze. I'm just going to through stuff in and see what pans out tbh

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Sure it isn't hard:
Take a empty soda or water bottle and cut off the top, stick a stone or two in the bigger portion of the bottle to weigh it down, now stick the top half (upside down ) in the other half, this creates a funnel that fishcan enter but have trouble getting out of

Reactions: Arthur12
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store