Sunfish tank

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Sure it isn't hard:
Take a empty soda or water bottle and cut off the top, stick a stone or two in the bigger portion of the bottle to weigh it down, now stick the top half (upside down ) in the other half, this creates a funnel that fishcan enter but have trouble getting out of
Ill put it to the test with a 2L. I think putting it horizontal would be better so probably tie some weights on the ends. Enlarge the mouth for better selection

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Ill put it to the test with a 2L. I think putting it horizontal would be better so probably tie some weights on the ends. Enlarge the mouth for better selection
The rocks are for weighing it down, we've tried external weights , but found they weren't worth the effort, and yes they should be placed horizontally-ish, I always take the colored strip left by opening the cap off.

Reactions: Arthur12

Rogozhin75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2018
Sure it isn't hard:
Take a empty soda or water bottle and cut off the top, stick a stone or two in the bigger portion of the bottle to weigh it down, now stick the top half (upside down ) in the other half, this creates a funnel that fishcan enter but have trouble getting out of
Do you put bait in the bottom?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
After all these years of keeping tropical fish I've fell in love with natives...go figure.

The tank will be 180 - 350g whatever I can fit through the doorway. I wanting to do a big variety group. What else can go with them? I was wanting a catfish (madtoms too small?), and maybe something else mixed in. I'm researching but I'm just not that versed in native tanks.

I would love to have a monster bluegill
Look into central Missouri longear sunfish. They're absolutely stunning; they rival rift lake cichlids for color. Internet pics simply do not do them credit. You could have a roaring huge school in any of the tanks you're considering.

Look into the NE Florida/SE Georgia morph of the brown bullhead catfish as well. THey're gorgeously marbled dark brown with white/silver spangles. Many people confuse them for spotted bullheads, but honestly, they're even nicer looking.

9850021_orig.jpg

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Look into central Missouri longear sunfish. They're absolutely stunning; they rival rift lake cichlids for color. Internet pics simply do not do them credit. You could have a roaring huge school in any of the tanks you're considering.

Look into the NE Florida/SE Georgia morph of the brown bullhead catfish as well. THey're gorgeously marbled dark brown with white/silver spangles. Many people confuse them for spotted bullheads, but honestly, they're even nicer looking.

View attachment 1342501
That's exactly the one Im talking about. The local variety here is very nice as well. I'm just trying to figure out the supporting cast.

That's a great bullhead suggest. Thanks.

Reactions: Chicxulub

Arthur12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2017
I find river and creek fish to be more colorful than lake fish.

I have a few of the White rRiver Longear pictured above, they always get comment when people come over.

I also have found creek/river fish demand pristine water, (what you can get away with on lake fish won't work for high oxygen in current fish) so be ready for 2-3x/week small water changes. But its worth it. I'm about to go service my tanks now.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I find river and creek fish to be more colorful than lake fish.

I have a few of the White rRiver Longear pictured above, they always get comment when people come over.

I also have found creek/river fish demand pristine water, (what you can get away with on lake fish won't work for high oxygen in current fish) so be ready for 2-3x/week small water changes. But its worth it. I'm about to go service my tanks now.
Thanks for that.

I have an auto change system this will be hooked to so surely that will be good.

Majority will come from a vendor. I'm going to start collecting some here soon to see if what I get and to see how they behave. I've been thinking about setting up a pond & let the stock start growing out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store