Sunny D.

ydnim

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2020
I have tried my best to begin the cycle "fish-less" with chemicals and other types of living bacteria. Before even considering purchasing any fish I made sure all of my levels were within a proper perimeter -- however, I do not know what Big Box Stores keep their levels at or how, and personally I have had bad experiences in the past that I do try my best to keep it as local with mom & pop shops ?‍❤‍? as possible.

Before adding Sunny D. :goldfish: into the tank, my pH was at a solid 8; NH3/NH4 was 0; NO2 = 0; NO3 = 0; dGH = soft 30; KH = soft 30
So far I have fed him krill ? (which he did not touch) and New Life Spectrum Cichlid Food which he ate about 3 pellets after entering the tank yesterday. This morning he ate quite a few blood worms and 3 more pellets.

Again, I know it might be an over-kill -- my notebook ? with all of my research would agree with you as well ?
I like to find new gadgets and I also like to take as much precaution for my fish as I am able. I am always up for feed back and ideas ? but I will always put the safety of my fish first
;)

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Nice little red zebra (possible hybrid) cichlid. Your acclimation is perfectly fine, drip method is what I use usually.

Cichlids are truly freshwater fish, tropical refers to the areas they inhabit and temperature/conditions they like. They are tropical fish as well, so I would call them tropical freshwater fish. (Note- some cichlids do live in brackish water and some even venture into marine environments. African cichlids like this guy like hard water with high mineral content, and I have heard of some acclimating them to brackish, but they generally are freshwater fish)

Your Nitrate being zero is slightly concerning, normally the way to tell your tank has actually completed the cycle is by some nitrate buildup. Ammonia is processed to nitrite and the end product nitrate, so a reading of 0 usually means the cycle is not working properly. You say you used bacteria products- did you also add a source of ammonia at the time? If not the bacteria will have had nothing to feed on and probably died, not successfully completing the nitrogen cycle. I would monitor your water daily- if you see any ammonia accumulation instead of nitrate, that would mean your cycle didn't take.
If this is the case and the tank is not cycled, I would repeat the bacterial add-ins, now with your fish in there they will be able to live and serve their purpose.

ydnim

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2020
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami

Thank you for helping me better identify this little guy -- I like to be able to break down all of the information for the fish in a tank to make sure the average pH and such are good as well as specifying their diet.

I have been checking the content of the tank daily. Here are today's readings:
Temp. - 79.7
pH - 7.6
NH3/NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
dGH - 30
KH - 40
PPT - 17
Specific Gravity - 1.012
(I know the last two are specific to African Cichlids, but when I test, I like to test for everything)

I had not added Ammonia when I added the LIVE Bacteria, honestly because I thought the new substrate would help with that and I was fearful of overdoing it. I just added 60mL of API Quick Start so hopefully that will help bring up the Nitrate Level.

If not... do you have any suggestions?

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
The only sure fire way to jump start a cycle in a new tank is to move over an established filter or media into the new tank. I have zero faith in bottled bacteria. Even moving gravel or sand from a well established tank will help your nitro cycle get started. Even with seeding the only way to cycle a tank is time. It normally takes a few weeks to get going initially. I have seen it happen faster if you have an old filter on a new tank. You can track the progress by testing and save your fish by changing water as levels rise. Once you see zero Ammonia and zero Nitrites the Nitrates will rise. At that point you can slowly add more fish so as not to overwhelm the chemistry of your tank. There are no shortcuts and acclimation will not effect success. Patience and diligence!!

Reactions: deeda

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That would be a whole new definition of new tank syndrome I've never heard used before. I've never heard it used for anything other than an uncycled tank.
Huh weird, that's what I was always told by my lfs'. Who knows maybe I'm wrong, maybe I was just misinformed from the start.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
"new tank syndrome" usually refers to a tank without the proper colonies of nitrifying bacteria that grow during the "cycle". Maybe some other people use it to talk about acclimating fish, I have always heard it used mainly by new hobbyists when talking about the cycle. But that's just semantics.

As for what to do, at this point your tank is not properly cycled, and there are a few ways to go about it. If you do nothing and let it run by itself, the cycle will take place over about 4-6 weeks. Maybe longer since you only have the one little fish who won't produce much ammonia. This can be very tough on the fish because ammonia will have to spike, as well as nitrite, before colonies of bacteria which eat them form. It is possible to have fish live through an unassisted fish-in cycle, but also very likely the fish don't survive. If you have access to anybody with a well established freshwater tank, you could take some of their filter media and use it to seed your tank. Some good fish stores will sell cultured bacteria pads as well from their filters. This is usually the method I use, as there will already be a good amount of the bacteria tranferred, and the ammonia and nitrite won't have to rise. Another way is to go with bottled products. Personally I have used Dr. tim's one and only many times and I think it works quite well. Seachem stability is used by some hobbyists I respect as well, so probably good stuff. It can be used in conjunction with seachem prime to keep ammonia in a form that the bacteria can eat, but won't harm the fish. These products will shorten the cycle usually to about a week or two. During the cycling period don't change the water, as you will disrupt the cycle.

Another note- why are you raising specific gravity, and what are you using to do this? African cichlids can live in brackish water but do not need to, and it adds another parameter that can get out of whack. Evaporation can cause jumps in salinity and at 1.012 your water is pretty salty already. personally I would keep the cichlids in fresh water to have one less thing to worry about, unless you plan on having a dedicated brackish setup with fish that require it.

ydnim

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2020

I am not trying to raise the Specific Gravity and I have not done anything to do so, it is just something I check along with all of the other contents. I have bought the Aquarium Salt but found it unnecessary to use.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I ended up buying my first tank-mate today ? He is an "Assorted African Cichlid" -- which to be honest, I hate that certain stores cannot give you more information on the "type" than that... I have decided to name him Sunny D and he is currently acclimating through a cool little gadget I found on Amazon called "Innovative Martine Accudrip Acclimator"

*I've included 2 photos of my new guy in his isolation bucket. One of them is very blurry but it was a nice angle so I kept it. The other shows his true color which is a remarkable solid yellowish-orange... hence... Sunny D.

It never occurred to me that you are only acclimating the temperature when you have the bags sit in the tank for 15 minutes or so. It makes so much sense to use this tool to avoid "New Tank Syndrome" and other shocks of the change that can stress out our little friends. The setup was really easy, literally 1,2,3...
1. Insert the rigid J-Tube end in your aquarium
2. Place the other end of the line into the container with the new fish and their water content
3. Squeeze the siphon/drip chamber

It recommends letting it drip 2-4 seconds for Cichlids until the water is at least 3x's more. So far it is working great and I am considering purchasing a few more before the rest of the tribe arrives!

View attachment 1419199

View attachment 1419200

View attachment 1419201
Those are cool, I’ve been using those for a while now, salt and fresh

I am not trying to raise the Specific Gravity and I have not done anything to do so, it is just something I check along with all of the other contents. I have bought the Aquarium Salt but found it unnecessary to use.
personally I think you’re over thinking things. I only concern myself with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and temp of course. You’re going to make yourself not enjoy the hobby if you’re worried about all those parameters. If those three things are good and fish are fat and healthy, just relax and enjoy them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store