Szat Clear Water

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
After all these years, I STILL cant believe we haven't developed a way to readily absorb/adsorb nitrates.

I'm obviously NOT a biologist or chemist, but does anyone that IS in the chemistry field have an idea as to what makes this issue so hard to defeat? I just cant believe in this day and time someone hasn't come up with something other than sugar/alcohol fed denitrator type filters, or DSB, or Bio Pellets (saltwater only) or media's that just aren't very efficient at doing the job.

Seriously, someone could make a "killing" if they had a rechargeable media that actually worked for a reasonable cost. Purigen is the closest I've found, and that works by absorbing waste/ammonia before converted by BB, which can be like a double edged sword. I still use it though.

Thanks for trying something new!

Well, back to the lab...LOL

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Week two with Szat post water change, midweek, and pre water change tests...
0924171552.jpg 0927171549.jpg
0930171434.jpg

I recharged the Szat Clear Water during this week's water change. Decided to recharge it while I start testing hardness. Tested kh after today's 70%+ water change today. Took 10 drops to change the color of the test tube. So, apparently my water is liquid rock lol

Reactions: tarheel96

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
What woukd nitrates have been without use of the product ? Really liking this easy recharge process

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
I just found this nitrate anion resin with this comment at the bottom of the page.

Intelifil (IF-SM-NIT010B) 10"X4.5" Big Blue Strong Anion Nitrate Removal Filter
https://www.amazon.com/Intelifil-IF...777739&sr=8-5&keywords=nitrate+removal+filter

"Using API liquid Nitrate test kit, my tap water shows 20 ppm before the filter and 0 ppm after the filter. It fits the big blue 10" filter just fine (10"x4-1/2"). There were no instructions included. The first 15-25 gallons were lightly yellow colored and foamy with a slight odor. Most filters have to be flush rinsed initially. After flushing, the water is clear and seems normal. No problems with my fresh water aquariums using 100% this water. It does lower the Total Alkalinity of the water, took mine from 120 ppm to 40 ppm, with no change in hardness per Tetra easystrips test. Flowrate is in the advertised range of 1-2 GPM at tap water pressure."

I thought I'd post it and see what people thought. It lists a capacity of 12,000 mg/L but doesn't say if it's that's for N, NO3 or CaCO3. Another small anion exchange filter I've seen lists the capacity as 3,000 mg/L nitrate (as CaCO3). lol

J jaws7777 Is your nitrate removal filter similar to this? Yours is probably larger but is it in a filter cartridge or cartridges?

Reactions: slippery slimecoat

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
What woukd nitrates have been without use of the product ? Really liking this easy recharge process
Nitrates on 9/16 just before water change and adding Szat...
0916171606.jpg

Nitrates pre water change after 1 week of Szat...
0923170733.jpg

Nitrates before water change today, 2 weeks into using Szat...0930171434.jpg

This is with doing approximately 70%+ water changes once a week.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Nitrates on 9/16 just before water change and adding Szat...
View attachment 1276608

Nitrates pre water change after 1 week of Szat...
View attachment 1276611

Nitrates before water change today, 2 weeks into using Szat...View attachment 1276612

This is with doing approximately 70%+ water changes once a week.
Well looks like a success to me. Im totally cool with weekly water changes haha..meaning 1.

So how long do you think the product can go with out being recharged ? How long did it take you to recharge it ?

Where in your set up did you place it ?

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Well looks like a success to me. Im totally cool with weekly water changes haha..meaning 1.

So how long do you think the product can go with out being recharged ? How long did it take you to recharge it ?

Where in your set up did you place it ?
Time between charges will probably depend on the variables from one set up to the next. In my set up, I believe I'd probably be close to my original nitrate reading in another week without recharging.

I had one bag sitting in the chamber next to the filter sock. The other was in between the baffles in between the last two chambers. Worth noting, the one between the baffles was a bit more brown colored than the other when I took it out to recharge them.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Time between charges will probably depend on the variables from one set up to the next. In my set up, I believe I'd probably be close to my original nitrate reading in another week without recharging.

I had one bag sitting in the chamber next to the filter sock. The other was in between the baffles in between the last two chambers. Worth noting, the one between the baffles was a bit more brown colored than the other when I took it out to recharge them.
Cool i might give this a whirl thx bro. Purigen filter seems to be working fine but im really liking this product your using

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store