Szat Clear Water

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Cool i might give this a whirl thx bro. Purigen filter seems to be working fine but im really liking this product your using
Obviously free to do what ya want, but might be worth letting me test it out a bit longer to see how it continues to play out if you have your nitrates in check for now. I had it shipped from across the pond, and am running two of the largest bags they have and my system is much smaller than yours. It's not the cheapest of products...

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Obviously free to do what ya want, but might be worth letting me test it out a bit longer to see how it continues to play out if you have your nitrates in check for now. I had it shipped from across the pond, and am running two of the largest bags they have and my system is much smaller than yours. It's not the cheapest of products...
Oh no doubt i'll be following with interest. This subject really interests me (nitrate reduction)

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
I know of no difference between the resins below and the resins in szat, api nitrazorb and other nitrate anion resins packaged for use in aquariums except that you can purchase larger amounts of the resins below for a lot less. In the first link, the resin is $17.75 for 1 Liter and in the 2nd link the resin is $55 for 5 liters.

Why couldn't you put these resins in a very fine mesh bag like purigen's 'The Bag' or a fine straining bag like those used in home brewing and use them like api nitrazorb or szat clear water?

https://www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/acatalog/A-520-Nitrate-Resin---by-the-litre-7_0010__.html#SID=36

http://www.ebay.com/itm/resine-de-n...903937?hash=item283f130901:g:dmQAAOSw4GVYPtTZ

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I know of no difference between the resins below and the resins in szat, api nitrazorb and other nitrate anion resins packaged for use in aquariums except that you can purchase larger amounts of the resins below for a lot less. In the first link, the resin is $17.75 for 1 Liter and in the 2nd link the resin is $55 for 5 liters.

Why couldn't you put these resins in a very fine mesh bag like purigen's 'The Bag' or a fine straining bag like those used in home brewing and use them like api nitrazorb or szat clear water?

https://www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/acatalog/A-520-Nitrate-Resin---by-the-litre-7_0010__.html#SID=36

http://www.ebay.com/itm/resine-de-n...903937?hash=item283f130901:g:dmQAAOSw4GVYPtTZ
Good question that I don't have an answer to lol. I admittedly don't know enough about the makeup of any of these resins to say how similar one is to the next. But if there is a cheaper version if this, it's definitely worth looking into if someone is interested in this type of product.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Midweek nitrate test around 10 ppm.
1004171548.jpg

Forgot to do a nitrate test after this week's water change, but would assume it was around 10 ppm as well. Kh test was about the same as after the water change. Test started to change color one drop sooner, so it may be having a mild effect on hardness.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I just found this nitrate anion resin with this comment at the bottom of the page.

Intelifil (IF-SM-NIT010B) 10"X4.5" Big Blue Strong Anion Nitrate Removal Filter
https://www.amazon.com/Intelifil-IF...777739&sr=8-5&keywords=nitrate+removal+filter

"Using API liquid Nitrate test kit, my tap water shows 20 ppm before the filter and 0 ppm after the filter. It fits the big blue 10" filter just fine (10"x4-1/2"). There were no instructions included. The first 15-25 gallons were lightly yellow colored and foamy with a slight odor. Most filters have to be flush rinsed initially. After flushing, the water is clear and seems normal. No problems with my fresh water aquariums using 100% this water. It does lower the Total Alkalinity of the water, took mine from 120 ppm to 40 ppm, with no change in hardness per Tetra easystrips test. Flowrate is in the advertised range of 1-2 GPM at tap water pressure."

I thought I'd post it and see what people thought. It lists a capacity of 12,000 mg/L but doesn't say if it's that's for N, NO3 or CaCO3. Another small anion exchange filter I've seen lists the capacity as 3,000 mg/L nitrate (as CaCO3). lol

J jaws7777 Is your nitrate removal filter similar to this? Yours is probably larger but is it in a filter cartridge or cartridges?
20170930_122431.jpg

Im gonna check this stuff out thx mike

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Forgot to do a post water change nitrate test last week, so here is the midweek and end of week tests.
1004171548.jpg 1008170720.jpg

The kh test was interesting. The midweek test took one less drop to change the color of test water than the test just after the water change. The end of week test took the same amount of drops as the beginning of the week. Starting to question the accuracy of the API kit...

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Did my water change early this week due to a busy weekend planned. Didn't do a post water change or mid week test this week. So, this weeks nitrate test before water change...
1013171537.jpg

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
So, been using Szat Clear water for four weeks now. I just recharged it during today's water change. So I will post pre water change nitrate tests from just before adding Szat and the following weeks.0916171606.jpg 0923170733.jpg
1004171548.jpg 1008170720.jpg 1013171537.jpg

I recharged the Szat Clear Water after two weeks. Have been testing kh the last two weeks. It has stayed pretty stable throughout the two weeks. I've seen no changes in behavior or appetite with the fish. Worth noting I have used almost double the amount of the product than what was suggested by the manufacturer.

malawipraha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2016
I am sorry to say but you are following a path to nowhere. Looking at water parameters just through NO3 is just not right. These resins release free chlorides which negatively affect fish blood accid management and put them to stress. We have had an extensive debate over it and the unilateral conclusion is that freshwater fish just don't like these chlorides. Some of them more and some if them less. Africans not at all. My chlorides levels out after a week of using no3 ion exchange were 150mg/l compared to 15mg/l coming from tap. It's like dosing 1 table spoons of salt per 10 gallons of water. Plus these free chlorides may have different affinity the loosely joint chloride and sodium ions from salt. Perhaps you should be looking at other ways how to get source water with lower nitrates than you currently have from tap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store