T-Bar Cichlid help

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
for reference, when i had my tbars with a severum it was in a 135.

i believe trinsfish.com has hoplos. they usually have great stock. I wouldn't do HRP's with convicts due to risk of hybridization. That's just me

If you order from trinsfish i have a coupon that can save you some off your first order. Just let me know
Ok been looking around and I think I will switch my 75 community and the 60, so with a 75 now would this stocking be ok

Tbar pair
8 congo tetras
marbled hoplo catfish
1 other larger bodied fish
pleco of some kind

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
depends on the large bodied fish but i don't see much of an issue there. Never kept tbars with congos so can't really comment but I don't see it being a big issue

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree about not housing them with HRPs or any other cichlid from the genus Amatitlania, even in a larger tank.
Housing cichlids of the same genus, (same shape, similar color, or same territorial needs) is usually problematic. They either kill each other, or hybridize, both scenarios being undesirable in my opinion.
If I were to try and house them with another cichlid, it would be a different genus, with an entirely different appearance as far as shape, mouth shape, and color goes.
If I just had to have another cichlid, I might try H nicaraguensis, or one of the more torpedo shaped species from cichlids from Costa Rica, to avoid conflict

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
I agree about not housing them with HRPs or any other cichlid from the genus Amatitlania, even in a larger tank.
Housing cichlids of the same genus, (same shape, similar color, or same territorial needs) is usually problematic. They either kill each other, or hybridize, both scenarios being undesirable in my opinion.
If I were to try and house them with another cichlid, it would be a different genus, with an entirely different appearance as far as shape, mouth shape, and color goes.
If I just had to have another cichlid, I might try H nicaraguensis, or one of the more torpedo shaped species from cichlids from Costa Rica, to avoid conflict
What are some common types of cichlids that will go in the tank. I dont know of any??

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
What are some common types of cichlids that will go in the tank. I dont know of any??
In my opinion, some may disagree with me, but your best bet would be to keep a small group of sajicas in here. 1 male and 3-4 females would be ideal. This way the male will be a bit distracted from his mate (less likely to murder her) and the pair bonds a bit in their defense from the others. I think this would be better than going for another cichlid species. The tank probably won't have room for 2 pairs, and unless you put a larger more aggressive cichlid, the pair would probably kill a random lone cichlid. But, putting a larger more aggressive cichlid with them opens up a whole new world of possible problems, and I don't think the tank is large enough for that.
So what I would do, is get a group of 4-5 sajica young, let them grow up together, and let a pair form naturally. Have some dithers in there as well like livebearers. I had a setup like this with my panamensis and it worked great, the pair would breed and the other 2 panamensis were not killed. I eventually sold the 2 extras, thinking it would be better to just have the pair, and that is when the male killed his mate. This was in first a 5' 70 gallon, then a 4' 90 gallon (where he killed her).

Reactions: bkfamus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
This is an occurrence with many cichlids, if you have two pairs, the other pair "sometimes" help to cement the pair bond of the other pair and visa versa. Of course it only works if there is enough floor space for both pairs to have equal and sufficient territory.
I believe in the OPs relatively small space, dithers as pointed out by Gourami Swami is the best advice. Another single cichlid could be opening a can of worms, not advisably opened.
There have been so many posts here by people complaining about, or wondering why one cichlid killed another in their tanks, after a few months of relative harmony.
I believe almost all these questions come because most aquarists aren't willing to accent the fact that cichlids need way more space, than is often recommended, especially at maturity, or try to house competitors, or 2 species or Parachromis or two species of Vieja together in a small tank.
In most cases in nature, you seldom see two species of the same genus in the same waters, other than maybe Thorichthys, a very social species
I have watched small cichlids in nature like half grown JDs guard a terrify that encompasses a space of 250 gallons.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
In my opinion, some may disagree with me, but your best bet would be to keep a small group of sajicas in here. 1 male and 3-4 females would be ideal. This way the male will be a bit distracted from his mate (less likely to murder her) and the pair bonds a bit in their defense from the others. I think this would be better than going for another cichlid species. The tank probably won't have room for 2 pairs, and unless you put a larger more aggressive cichlid, the pair would probably kill a random lone cichlid. But, putting a larger more aggressive cichlid with them opens up a whole new world of possible problems, and I don't think the tank is large enough for that.
So what I would do, is get a group of 4-5 sajica young, let them grow up together, and let a pair form naturally. Have some dithers in there as well like livebearers. I had a setup like this with my panamensis and it worked great, the pair would breed and the other 2 panamensis were not killed. I eventually sold the 2 extras, thinking it would be better to just have the pair, and that is when the male killed his mate. This was in first a 5' 70 gallon, then a 4' 90 gallon (where he killed her).
o
Ok, I have been looking into it and I think I'm going to go get 5 T-bars and try to get a male and 3 females, would congo tetras or rainbows work as dithers or should I get somthing cheaper ( giant danios), also would a hoplo or pictus cat become lunch for a sengal bicher.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Any of the fish you mentioned should work, as dithers.
Sajica are really not predatory piscivores (except on fry or tiny fish).
Territoriality, and the perception (by the sajica) of competitors is the main reason other cichlids are problematic.

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
Any of the fish you mentioned should work, as dithers.
Sajica are really not predatory piscivores (except on fry or tiny fish).
Territoriality, and the perception (by the sajica) of competitors is the main reason other cichlids are problematic.
Ok, I wanted to do rainbows but didn't want the T bars to have a 15-20 dollar snack :) . So is this a decent stock for the tank.

1 male t bar
3 female t bar
6-8 bosmani rainbows, or congo tetras
1 hoplo cat
1 sengal bicher

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Sajica are not fish eaters, they are very inept as predators, so I doubt they will take issue with the quick surface and mid water dwelling rainbows.
If the sajica do pair up, the cat and bicher may be seen as threats, or maybe not.
I have never kept bichers, and usually don't keep cats with cichlids because the cats tend to eat cichlid eggs and fry, so my opinion is only conjecture.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store