I will get TDS meters as you all suggested

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Overfeeding?
-- havent fed the fish for 3 days since I countered this problem
As I said, the issue is systematic, and not a result of the last 3 days. I tank goes bad over time, which is months, and not over 3 days....Hence most of us don't experience issues when we skip one or two water changes only, or overfeed here and there. But do that more often, you're bound to have issues early or later.

Overstocking?
- I don't think so. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You don't need to answer to me if your tank is overstocked or not. Its a question you need to confirm for yourself and the well being of your fish. As I mentioned before, get a TDS meter. I'd imagine anyone that can afford a 285 gallon tank can spend 20 bucks on a TDS meter. Test your tank and well water .....you'll know if the tank is overstocked then, as if it isn't, the test results will not be different by much, if any.....A glass box measurement and fish numbers mean nothing on its own.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Please tell me where did I do wrong. So I can fix it. Thanks a lot for your help! =)
What you've been doing maybe sufficient and even more than a lot other folks are doing. But in your case is not enough. I am not suggesting you're neglecting your fish in any way. Metaphorically speaking, for example if you're a wild man in the jungle, just searching for food is not enough to feed you. You need to catch something first.....

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Hello; If the issue is truly old tank syndrome, which fits, then it is my understanding the tank has only been set up a few months. My memory may be faulty on this but I think I saw the first thread about this setup not that long ago.
The name "old tank syndrome" is misleading. It doesn't matter how old the tank is. It happens when the tank can't handle the bioload. When I had "old tank syndrome" in my fry tank, the tank was only a few months old. If you've done fishless cycling by dosing ammonia, not doing water changes, and tested the KH, you would notice that the Kh plummets in a matter of weeks, due to the high "bioload" which in this case is ammonia from a bottle. You leave it drop to zero, and you get what they call "stalled cycle".

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
ammonia 0.25
nitrite 0
nitrate 100

problem is with ph, I don't see why it is considered old tank syndrome?.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I don't see why it is considered old tank syndrome?.
hello; It is just a name. I have been educated myself in the last few posts.

Let me say again the approach which seems likely to be best is an ongoing series of smaller WC. 20% to 25% every couple of days.

I follow why you do not wish the issue to be this syndrome, but it fits and I do not have a better idea myself.

I also am guessing that the canister filter will be found to be loaded with stuff of which much may well be excess food. Maybe the equivalent of a large dead fish rotting inside. I did note in a recent post that you turn the filter off during a WC. As you seem to have a crashed cycle it may not hurt to at least check the filter and clean or replace some of the medium.

Good luck

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
It has been an hour' ,ph seems goin up a little bit from 5.5 to 5.7 after i put 10kg of crushed corals
Hello; The nice thing is we each get to run our tanks any way we wish. Good luck and I hope you find a path to a healthy tank.

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
Links to old tank syndrome

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=214
Just read the article..

https://www.algone.com/as-the-aquarium-ages-old-tank-syndrome-often-sets-in

http://www.petmd.com/fish/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_fi_old_tank_syndrome

Hello; If the issue is truly old tank syndrome, which fits, then it is my understanding the tank has only been set up a few months. My memory may be faulty on this but I think I saw the first thread about this setup not that long ago.
It seems my 50% weekly water change might cause this? It is written there that excessive water change may caused old tank syndrom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store