Tank mates for two tanks

Süßwasserfisch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2019
What's up everyone I'm new here so I'll do my best. I have two set ups I'm curious on. The first is a Half Banded Spiny Eel in a 75. I already have it scaped with rocks, driftwood, logs, and caves. The plants all feed from the water column so if uprooted I'll just replant them or let them float if they get dug up. The substrate is a mix of pfs, caribsea black sand, and a small amount of clay flourite chips (the substrate has been recycled from an old set up). The parameters are as follows: pH: 6.5-7.5 kh:120ppm gh: 9°-10° nitrates: .5 ppm nitrites: 0 ppm
Temp is at 79.3f based off of 4 1/2 weeks filtered with a marineland 400 and marineland power head pushing 300gph (I know it varies on how well it's performing) I also have a topfin40 internal filter that was already in use to help stabilize my tank initially but haven't removed it. The power head pushes in oxygen but I also have a diy air filter in the back to help bring even more in as I've read they enjoy a high oxygen environment. Wondering if I have it set up right? And what tankmates it could have for the entiee duration of his life. The second tank is for two Senegal Bichir (currently in the 75g) I'm getting a 125 as soon as my basement is finished for them and was curious on tankmates for them also. I'll be keeping the tank at a lower pH closer to their current parameters but with less focus on getting oxygen throughout the tank. I'll be putting two fluval fx6 for filtration. Other than this I haven't done much deciding and could really use some help. I've kept planted and nano scapes and angels for a long time now and miss the early days I had firemouths and convicts and just want to get into big fish in general. These fish were saved from my uneducated friends tank. One Bichir has his left fine missing. It does appear to have gotten to the meat so it might not grow back but am treating it now. Am I doing well? Tankmates, any info, even criticism as long as it's constructive. I just would like to know I'm on the right track

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
For the eel I'd go with some rainbowfish and killifish as tankmates,

For the bichirs why not a European eel and a couple African butterfly fish

Reactions: Süßwasserfisch

Süßwasserfisch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2019
For the eel I'd go with some rainbowfish and killifish as tankmates,

For the bichirs why not a European eel and a couple African butterfly fish
Thanks for the suggestions!!! I was beginning to think I'd never get any. I like the eel but I'd like to add more color as the bichir are already a beige brown. Do killifish like high current or slow? And do rainbows enjoy a high current?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions!!! I was beginning to think I'd never get any. I like the eel but I'd like to add more color as the bichir are already a beige brown. Do killifish like high current or slow? And do rainbows enjoy a high current?
Rainbows cantolerate moderate current, while most killis like more still waters.

As far as a more colorful tankmates for the bichirs, how about either a fire eel, or a vieja melanura?

Reactions: Süßwasserfisch

Süßwasserfisch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2019
Awesome fish! Are there any other fish if I did one vieja and 2 bichir? Larger schooling fish or any oddballs?

Süßwasserfisch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2019
We just got a 180 and I have a pond pump rated at 1240 gph. Is that too much? The pump was free and I figured I could use a sponge and lava rock behind it on one end then running 5ft of tube with wholes through it to disperse the current. Do you guys think it will work or would a sump be better? I've never kept a tank this size and if it's more ideal to plumb it I got a buddy who can help with all that. If the current would be too much for the vieja then could I do a gar and some leaf fish?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You don't want your bichir struggling to get to the top of the tank for a breath of fresh air, so don't use too strong of a water pump. Also, watch how fast your bichirs move towards food. The last thing you need is for them to lose food to other fish.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
You don't want your bichir struggling to get to the top of the tank for a breath of fresh air, so don't use too strong of a water pump. Also, watch how fast your bichirs move towards food. The last thing you need is for them to lose food to other fish.
Exactly, instead of changing filtration you can simply manage flow, have the flow run into some boulders or such to slow it down.

The problem with any gar is they all get large enough to pose danger to senegals.

Leaf fish would be a possibility tho, you could also add a kissing gourami and maybe a trio of silver dollars

Süßwasserfisch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2019
I have a waterfall kit with it. I could form that into the scape with heavy rock. Would that work? Most of the fish above are found in calm to moderate waters correct

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store