Tankmate Recommendations for Green Sunfish in 70gallon?

Dvchess

Feeder Fish
May 27, 2018
California
I have 2 green sunfish, one is 2" the other is about 3.5"
Each one has established one side of the tank as their territory
They are both in the 70gal, with a few decorations for hiding. Not the final setup, just until I get a stand for the tank (its on the floor)
Tank Dimensions are around 48" x 18" x 18"

DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG

What tankmates can I get for them?
Ive read their adult size is around 5-7"
and their aggression can be similar to cichlids or jack dempseys.
Ive heard bigger fish or same size fish have worked for some people.

Some fish I want one day, but not sure if they would work with the Green sunfish:
-Black Ghost Knife
-Ornate Bichir
-African Butterfly Fish
-Fire Eel (would outgrow the 70g)

Ive spent months researching but I can't find too much, and the answers I do find are very inconsistent. What works for one person might not work for anyone else, a rare circumstance etc

Photos:

DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0026.JPG

Reactions: DRC

DRC

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
One reason that answers are inconsistent, is that Sunfish behavior is inconsistent. Each one has its own personality and although there are trends among certain types, no individual fish is guaranteed to behave a certain way. I don’t know anything about the fish you listed, but remember these are temperate fish and wouldn’t mix with fish requiring higher tropical temperatures. Greens have a reputation for being a little more aggressive than others, but I think a Pumpkinseed Sunfish would hold its own. A bullhead catfish would also mix well without pushing the boundaries of 70 gal. A Yellow Perch might push the 70 gal limit but should be fine with the Greens. A regular Texas Cichlid or a Green Texas Cichlid can also be kept at the same temperature and again it depends on the fish, may or may not be as aggressive as the Greens. Hope this gives you some options to consider.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Green sunfish are by far the most aggressive, destructive fish I've ever kept...and I've kept a lot of very large aggressive fish! I've never found any tank mate combination that worked, especially in a small tank like 70 gallon. Your best bet is to keep one by itself. From my experience that's what will end up happening anyhow. Green sunfish also tend to destroy aquascapes. They dig a large pit for a nest site, and anything in their way will be bulldozed or ripped to shreds. You'll have your hands full with these little terrorists!! Good luck

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Other green sunfish work, or similar aggressive fish, you might be able to get away with a convict cichlid, oh and they do fine in tropical temps

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
they get way bigger than 7inch more like 10-12 sometimes bigger but it takes a few years also u could keep other types of sunfish, shiners, bullhead catfish, perch, u can also try some cichlids with it if u dont mind the risk of them getting parasites

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
they get way bigger than 7inch more like 10-12 sometimes bigger but it takes a few years also u could keep other types of sunfish, shiners, bullhead catfish, perch, u can also try some cichlids with it if u dont mind the risk of them getting parasites
Unlikely, I think it's funny people think native fish are likely to give store bought fish parasites, remember store bought fish are often a mix of wild caught and captive raised , thrown into the same water, this makes store bought fish 1000s of times more likely to carry parasites

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Unlikely, I think it's funny people think native fish are likely to give store bought fish parasites, remember store bought fish are often a mix of wild caught and captive raised , thrown into the same water, this makes store bought fish 1000s of times more likely to carry parasites
nah most cichlids are captive bred now like south american and african cichlids

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
yah but they get treated im not saying every fish in the wild has parasites but one caught in a pond is more likely to have parasites then a fish in a fish store excluding feeder fish
False
Pet store fish are subject to receiving parasites from thousands of areas, most wild fish only from 1.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store