Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Tankmates for Bichir

Discussion in 'Polypterus' started by Cichlidsforlife, Feb 11, 2018.

1. thefredpit

thefredpit MFK Members

Yesterday at 8:35 PM
      I've only seen my ropefish doing death roles which begs the question why no one(me included) has suggested several ropefish they are very active and play in the bubbles and each other

Hendre likes this.
    2. DMD123

DMD123 MFK Members

Inigo Montoya
      Yesterday at 6:52 PM
      Pearsei are a whole different cichlid. Peaceful herbivores for the most part. Mine will push a poly out of the way... to get at food, lol.

When I had my cichlid community with the Pearsei, het, red bay snook and regani they never messed with bichirs. This was with upper jaws like my weeksii, delhezi, palmas palmas, butti. Of course bigger tank made that easier.

tlindsey and Hendre like this.
    3. Cichlidsforlife

Cichlidsforlife MFK Members

Markus Stottrup
      Yesterday at 5:05 PM
      Yeah, thank so much

4. Cichlidsforlife

Cichlidsforlife MFK Members

Markus Stottrup
      Yesterday at 5:05 PM
      But lastly could you guys send pics of Senegal’s or delhezi or upper jaw bichirs? Unless there is a thread for that already

5. jaws7777

jaws7777 MFK Members

Yesterday at 11:40 PM

Bichirs are not active fish. A few upper jaws maybe considered active but all in all the allure of polys is not their activity if so then i'd bet eventually you will be bored with them.

You also have to like the fish. For me getting a particular poly just because its active doesnt work. I have to like the appearence. The same goes with pleco keepers. They dont look at how active they are because they arent active at all.
      Also even if a poky is active that doesnt mean interactive or an outgoing personality. They arent going to follow u around like an oscar.

Never kept midas but from what i understand they are pretty aggressive.

@dmcskoolkid@dmcskoolkid and i was just talking about this. For a time it would be cool but in the long run pretty boring.

Pearsei are great but 90 gal is too small.

I like the acara and be done. Lol they are cool and there are also quite a few cool looking species other than the generic blue acara.

6. Rocksor

Rocksor MFK Members

Yesterday at 3:39 PM
      I haven't seen anything about the equipment that is planning to be purchased across multiple posts in different fish threads. Are you sure you are able to handle the water changes, cycling, and testing with this large tank?

magpie and tlindsey like this.
    7. magpie

magpie MFK Members

Yesterday at 4:30 PM
      I'm fairly certain a Midas needs a larger tank. The Acaras are a way better species for your tank, will still be interactive, attractive, and comfortable for life in that tank. As @jaws7777@jaws7777 says... larger cichlids fart out nitrates LOL... Seeing a large fish in a small tank is kind of depressing IMO.

I'm right on board with Jaws also in regards to choosing fish - ultimately do YOU find bichirs interesting? Do they appeal to you? You might end up with an individual that isn't very active... will you still think it's cool to watch and stare at? I know the answer for me (hells yeah) but not for you.

I worry you'll get bored as you mention because in your posts you keep jumping around as far as your interests go. I look forward to seeing you settle down in your decision and get excited about planning the setup to make it successful. Getting a tank started can be tricky until it finds a certain equilibrium.

I also like the 3 upper jaws with the acara plan.

Ropes are awesome but I think they're best for a planted tank (or at least heavily fake-planted. ;) )

If you don't have a strong preference in looks for the polys, then go for activity: Senegal, Delhezi, Polli. Buettekoferi are known to be hiders, so get one only if you think it's really cool looking IMO.

8. magpie

magpie MFK Members

Yesterday at 4:30 PM
      Also an excellent point. What filter are you planning? What is realistic for you in regards to water changes in frequency and amount?

I do appreciate all of your questions! Getting an aquarium set up is really rewarding but also challenging especially at first.

DMD123 likes this.
    9. dmcskoolkid

dmcskoolkid MFK Members

Tuesday at 11:11 PM
      @dmcskoolkid@dmcskoolkid and i was just talking about this. For a time it would be cool but in the long run pretty boring.

This is the sad truth I’ve tried it and I don’t think I can do it.

jaws7777 likes this.
    10. jaws7777

jaws7777 MFK Members

Yesterday at 11:40 PM
      Great point. All.of the suggestions made are pointless with out know this