Tentacled snakes! How many should I get?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I sourced some tentacled snakes thanks to Scott at OSA!

They're adults (approx 2') and currently being housed separately. They are CB.

So a couple of questions:

1. How many should I get? They'll be in a 6x2 enclosure with approx 11'' water depth covering about 2/3 of the area, with 1/3 land and a semi-aquatic basking area. (Research seems to imply that they don't bask, and they didn't have a basking spot at the zoo.)
-There are presently 4 available.
-At the zoo they were in a group of probably 5-6 in a tank with a much smaller footprint than mine.
-Don't know if they have any kind of social hierarchy/territoriality. If I got 2, would one potentially bully the other?
-Might they generally be happier in groups? Again, I'm assuming the husbandry at the zoo is more "correct" than your average youtube video. Might not be true.

2. How likely am I to get bitten and what's the best way to prevent this?
-These guys are fully aquatic and eat small fish, so there's no chance of them confusing me for food, but I've heard they can bite and have a non-dangerous itchy venom.
- Are there specific ways to frighten them less in moving them to the tank that would reduce the likelihood? Or should I just put on some oven mitts or something and hope for the best? This is probably more of a general snake question as the last snakes I owned were garters when I was like 10.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Remove the basking area as these snakes are fully aquatic and will not leave the water unless they're seeking a new home; they even mate & have their babies underwater.

Just handle them with a net, and you should be fine; it will be much safer for them as well vs. if you handled them with your hands.

Also, check out this thread.

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
that you did aha i didnt see it untill now, what are they charging? so i can get a fair price if i find one up here

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Remove the basking area as these snakes are fully aquatic and will not leave the water unless they're seeking a new home; they even mate & have their babies underwater.

Just handle them with a net, and you should be fine; it will be much safer for them as well vs. if you handled them with your hands.

Also, check out this thread.
Ya, I'd read the thread. Keeping the basking area for the turtle chilling in same tank.

Still trying to figure out how many I should get. I figure that if there's too much current in the tank or the turtle and them don't get along I can rehouse them in a temp 20 till I pick up a 40 or something.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Ya, I'd read the thread. Keeping the basking area for the turtle chilling in same tank.

Still trying to figure out how many I should get. I figure that if there's too much current in the tank or the turtle and them don't get along I can rehouse them in a temp 20 till I pick up a 40 or something.
Uh, don't get any if you're keeping them with a turtle; it will bite chunks out of them.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
He only eats from tongs (ignores food if he doesn't see me giving it) and coexists with fish as small as female bettas. Least aggressive eater ever. It's actually kinda a pain.

Sure it wouldn't work?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Btw I'm not one of those people who doesn't listen to advice. If the consensus is that it won't work I won't do it.

Tried to edit previous reply to state this but was too late.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store