Thai Silk Juvenile - grading request

Gokul2787

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
Hello everyone!
Spotted this Thai Silk while picking up an EBJD today. It was a pretty active, healthy looking fish.
Experts.. have a look n let me know what you think.
Will be my first FH if I pick it :newbie:

Unable to attach the video.. thus attaching screenshots. Hope it is clear.

VideoCapture_20190814-202721.jpgVideoCapture_20190814-202643.jpg

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I wouldn't consider myself an 'Expert' on grading -- it's just too subjective and also kinda depends on where someone lives. Also I'm reluctant to dish on a fish that someone might truly like and want to give a nice home to.

But as you persist, in my neighborhood that would be a rather medium quality Thai Silk. But if you're after a fish w/o a huge hump it might be good for you, as there's a good chance that one won't have a big hump imho.

And as you mention, being active and how it reacts to you are also important factors in any such FH buying decision -- I don't care how beautiful a FH looked -- if it wasn't active and feisty I almost for sure wouldn't buy it, not too many peeps want a boring FH.

Reactions: Gokul2787

Gokul2787

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
Thank you Barret.
That is what I was looking for. Maybe.. grading was the wrong choice of a word.
I more of wanted opinions from folks who are more familiar with FH. Like.. the body shape, deformities or any *gotchas* that an inexperienced eye would miss.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thank you Barret.
That is what I was looking for. Maybe.. grading was the wrong choice of a word.
I more of wanted opinions from folks who are more familiar with FH. Like.. the body shape, deformities or any *gotchas* that an inexperienced eye would miss.
Welcome bro, I hope others with more experience with Thai Silks will give some input but I don't see any outright 'gotchas' as you say, except perhaps again kok size (but in fact I personally can't even say 100% for sure it's a male). Mouth seems to be a bit protruding, but that might be getting too picky. I'm also not sure if an 'ideal' Thai Silk should have red eyes (like this Bonsai Thai Silk at my LFS):

In any case I'd bet the nice Silk you have pictured will be a beautiful fish if you take good care of it, all comes down to your choice and feeling.

Reactions: Gokul2787
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store