Thai Silk Juvenile - grading request

Gokul2787

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
Hello everyone!
Spotted this Thai Silk while picking up an EBJD today. It was a pretty active, healthy looking fish.
Experts.. have a look n let me know what you think.
Will be my first FH if I pick it :newbie:

Unable to attach the video.. thus attaching screenshots. Hope it is clear.

VideoCapture_20190814-202721.jpgVideoCapture_20190814-202643.jpg

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I wouldn't consider myself an 'Expert' on grading -- it's just too subjective and also kinda depends on where someone lives. Also I'm reluctant to dish on a fish that someone might truly like and want to give a nice home to.

But as you persist, in my neighborhood that would be a rather medium quality Thai Silk. But if you're after a fish w/o a huge hump it might be good for you, as there's a good chance that one won't have a big hump imho.

And as you mention, being active and how it reacts to you are also important factors in any such FH buying decision -- I don't care how beautiful a FH looked -- if it wasn't active and feisty I almost for sure wouldn't buy it, not too many peeps want a boring FH.

Reactions: Gokul2787

Gokul2787

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
Thank you Barret.
That is what I was looking for. Maybe.. grading was the wrong choice of a word.
I more of wanted opinions from folks who are more familiar with FH. Like.. the body shape, deformities or any *gotchas* that an inexperienced eye would miss.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thank you Barret.
That is what I was looking for. Maybe.. grading was the wrong choice of a word.
I more of wanted opinions from folks who are more familiar with FH. Like.. the body shape, deformities or any *gotchas* that an inexperienced eye would miss.
Welcome bro, I hope others with more experience with Thai Silks will give some input but I don't see any outright 'gotchas' as you say, except perhaps again kok size (but in fact I personally can't even say 100% for sure it's a male). Mouth seems to be a bit protruding, but that might be getting too picky. I'm also not sure if an 'ideal' Thai Silk should have red eyes (like this Bonsai Thai Silk at my LFS):

In any case I'd bet the nice Silk you have pictured will be a beautiful fish if you take good care of it, all comes down to your choice and feeling.

Reactions: Gokul2787

thaisilk1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2020
Welcome bro, I hope others with more experience with Thai Silks will give some input but I don't see any outright 'gotchas' as you say, except perhaps again kok size (but in fact I personally can't even say 100% for sure it's a male). Mouth seems to be a bit protruding, but that might be getting too picky. I'm also not sure if an 'ideal' Thai Silk should have red eyes (like this Bonsai Thai Silk at my LFS):

View attachment 1384137

In any case I'd bet the nice Silk you have pictured will be a beautiful fish if you take good care of it, all comes down to your choice and feeling.
How would you know if your thai silk flowerhorn is male or female? My thai silk is around 2 inches or 3

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
How would you know if your thai silk flowerhorn is male or female? My thai silk is around 2 inches or 3
Honestly the quickest and easiest way to sex a FH is to take it out of the tank, hold it upside down and look at the 2 holes infront of the anal fin. If it's a male, the hole closest to the anal fin should be either the same size or smaller then the anus hole. If it's a female the hole closest to the anal fin will be larger then the anus hole.

Reactions: thaisilk1234

thaisilk1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2020
Honestly the quickest and easiest way to sex a FH is to take it out of the tank, hold it upside down and look at the 2 holes infront of the anal fin. If it's a male, the hole closest to the anal fin should be either the same size or smaller then the anus hole. If it's a female the hole closest to the anal fin will be larger then the anus hole.
thank you for the response gonna check my fh right now

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I like big koks and I can not lie,you other fh keepers cant deny, when a fh swims up with huge kok in your face you get sprung! Because that huge kok makes me so (mfk edit) .
Lol sorry been that kind of week.
I think it's a good looking fish. As islandguy11 islandguy11 said not a fh expert or anything but it's nice looking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store