The Big Cichlid Hybrid Example Thread (Load Warning)

MistyDawn1214

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2017
that's why I like them
I'm not very experienced with cichlids but from what I was reading convicts can develop a small forehead bump as they age but these are still tiny young ones and I thought their noses bowed more outward like a blood parrot and seemed to have a taller sevrum like body than the pictures of convicts I'm seeing online. The other 10 all look like the typical convict pics I've found, except for these two. Which is why I thought they may be hybrids of some sort.

Is this body and nose shape typical with some convicts then?

FB_IMG_1513699309013.jpg

FB_IMG_1513699302768.jpg

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
They vary, I have seen some in my old books that look just like these. It may still be small but I'm thinking that this one's a male because of the color (no orange on the belly), fins and what looks like the beginning of a nuchal hump. Some do have taller bodies, sort of like an elongated discus. BTW what size tank are they in, some convict do get good size? They could be a hybrid, God knows convicts'll breed with almost anything, but like everything the do have differences.

MistyDawn1214

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2017
They vary, I have seen some in my old books that look just like these. It may still be small but I'm thinking that this one's a male because of the color (no orange on the belly), fins and what looks like the beginning of a nuchal hump. Some do have taller bodies, sort of like an elongated discus. BTW what size tank are they in, some convict do get good size? They could be a hybrid, God knows convicts'll breed with almost anything, but like everything the do have differences.
They are in a 125g so they should have plenty or room to grow, they get large weekly water changes and quality food.

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reactions: Red Cichlids

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Anyone know the difference between a shortbody convict and a BP X convict?

Help identify:

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Id say a red texas varient, but deffo a texas cross

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Something in me is screaming tilapia when I look at that picture. Not sure why.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Hybrid of Cryptohero nanoleutus father and Crytohero sajica mother. They are about 2 inch, sexually matured, and have paired up. Color resembles nanoleutus, deep body resemble sajica, and vertical and T barring share with both parents.

6777FACD-7C6F-45B7-8EED-EAD37782B369.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store