The case for being a poor fish keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
What put many of those stores out of business was not being willing or for whatever reason able, to adapt. Adapt to the internet, adapt to the increase in chain stores, adapt to their customer mentality and needs, and then meet those demands.
Adapt to increasing hobbyist skill?

perhaps you should stop posting on the forum then
Perhaps you should learn how to use the quote feature? :p That goes for RD. RD. too :rolleyes:

By the OP logic, we should all leave. Better yet, we should spread misinformation in our own self interest. The faster the buyer kills their fish, the fast the seller can move their fish and the better price they can get.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
By the OP logic? You are the OP. Time to put the pipe down and join reality. This isn't a fantasy fish forum, at least not for most of us.

Reactions: J. H.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I once knew a man: no this is not a colorful limerick! I once knew a man who owned a heating and air business on the cost of NC. No names being mentioned.
He let myself and my wife come stay at his home for the week. One night over dinner he says to me , man I wish we would get a hurricane or something.
Huh? What!
Yeah if we had a hurricane come through here and just wipe out all these houses I could make a fortune! Look they would all need new AC.
I don't people to die or anything just tear up some stuff you know.
Is this the attitude some fish sellers have? Yeah pack them tight get a flowerhorn put it with your dovii pair and trimac throw in a midevil! What a beautiful display you will have!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
BTW - in all the many years of keeping fish & posting on fish forums, I have never once felt the need to lock a thread, even when I was a mod and had the power to do just that. This is the exception. This thread is just plain assinine and a perfect example of someone attempting to stir the pot, you know, like a troll would.

My apologies to the rest of the forum for posting in it.

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
I think what everyone forgets is that for everyone 1 wild adult fish there were probably 999 that died before reaching maturity.

And all this argument about a fish being cramped in a tank where it can't breath without smelling its neighbor's fart...what does our neighborhoods look like? What about apartment buildings? Yet we still chose to live our lives out in an apartment buildings vs going back out into the wild and living like a true "human". Sure some of us don't like living in cramped quarters but if we using examples then most humans chose to live in cramped quarters.

if we putting our human emotions onto our fish then most of the fish would prefer to live in a crowded tank just like most humans prefer to live in overcrowded cities.

Reactions: Troy1015 and J. H.

B. Hizzle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
2up 2down
Adapt to increasing hobbyist skill?

Perhaps you should learn how to use the quote feature? :p That goes for RD. RD. too :rolleyes:

By the OP logic, we should all leave. Better yet, we should spread misinformation in our own self interest. The faster the buyer kills their fish, the fast the seller can move their fish and the better price they can get.
I'll figure it out one day. Until then my point is, and obviously I don't speak for everyone, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people on here are here to help. Help you, help me, help themselves, help the community become better fish keepers. If helping is senseless to you, then maybe you should stop posting on the site.

BH

Reactions: J. H.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
BTW - in all the many years of keeping fish & posting on fish forums, I have never once felt the need to lock a thread, even when I was a mod and had the power to do just that. This is the exception. This thread is just plain assinine and a perfect example of someone attempting to stir the pot, you know, like a troll would.

My apologies to the rest of the forum for posting in it.
We fear what we do not understand?

Let me lay it out more bluntly for those that don't enjoy esoteric ping pong (esoteric solitaire?).

If you get good at the hobby, you become bad for the hobby, by default. This is achieved via the combination of a decrease in spending as you mature as a fish keeper and a decrease in your enjoyment in the hobby over time due to a variety of factors (topping out in space, money-spent, density/size of fish, perceived welfare of your fish, etc.). So stop for a second and ask yourself (not just RD., everyone) if the above is true.

Personally, I'm not sure if this is true for myself or not. Certainly if you don't derive enjoyment from the hobby in one of the ways I've outlined above, this wouldn't apply to you. Just the same, it wouldn't apply to a fish keeper that does not desire to be better (which may actually be the majority of those in the hobby). But for those that want to be better, such as might be found on this site, becoming better might be a danger to their continued enjoyment of the hobby.

If that is true, which of course is an open question since none of us has the answer, then should we continue to help them become better? Should we actively stop learning? I'm not advocating this of course, but it's an interesting line of thought, even if you (anyone reading this) wants to lock it away and not think about it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, that's right, your hidden agenda and level of stupidity went right over my head o' wise one.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Yeah, that's right, your hidden agenda and level of stupidity went right over my head o' wise one.
Let's see, judging by time-stamps it took you three minutes to respond. I gather from that you are either a very fast thinker or you decided not to engage. Your loss, thanks anyway :)

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
We fear what we do not understand?

Let me lay it out more bluntly for those that don't enjoy esoteric ping pong (esoteric solitaire?).

If you get good at the hobby, you become bad for the hobby, by default. This is achieved via the combination of a decrease in spending as you mature as a fish keeper and a decrease in your enjoyment in the hobby over time due to a variety of factors (topping out in space, money-spent, density/size of fish, perceived welfare of your fish, etc.). So stop for a second and ask yourself (not just RD., everyone) if the above is true.

Personally, I'm not sure if this is true for myself or not. Certainly if you don't derive enjoyment from the hobby in one of the ways I've outlined above, this wouldn't apply to you. Just the same, it wouldn't apply to a fish keeper that does not desire to be better (which may actually be the majority of those in the hobby). But for those that want to be better, such as might be found on this site, becoming better might be a danger to their continued enjoyment of the hobby.

If that is true, which of course is an open question since none of us has the answer, then should we continue to help them become better? Should we actively stop learning? I'm not advocating this of course, but it's an interesting line of thought, even if you (anyone reading this) wants to lock it away and not think about it.
Rather then not helping we should help with what we have done and what we have experienced. And not judge them on their decision.

A lot of questions about raising two predators togethers start out with "is it possible?" Short answer yes but unlikely. If the person takes the advice we give them on NOT putting them together then good for them. problems start when people start judging people's decisions. I know for a fact that the crowded fish keepers out there don't post their tanks on here because of all the hate...so we all moved onto different formats.

I'll never post my tanks. I don't need crap from all the "omg you and ur family should die and all be put in a cage for the rest of your lives" people. Fish aren't humans. And many people on here seem to forget that on here.

This site and "hobby" is only dying because everyone too judgemental. When I see a planted tank I praise it even though it's not my cup of tea. If I don't like it I say anything. But then again everyone's mom teaches everyone differently.

Teachers should be patient. Students will make mistakes and learn from them. It takes all kinds of kinds in this life. A lot of our modern inventions happened because someone said "no I'm not following that rule" or "well that was a mistake...or was it?"

Reactions: Troy1015 and J. H.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store