The Creation Of Blood Parrot Cichlids (Pure Cruelty)

Do You Think It Is Okay To Breed and Sell This Fish

• I am Against Breeding, Buying, and Selling Blood Parrot Cichlids

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • I think It Is Okay To Breed, Buy, and Sell Blood Parrot Cichlids

Votes: 26 52.0%

• Total voters

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Albinos can occur naturally. Fish that are bred for colour are usually line bred.Fish like the BP are hybrid mutations.There is a difference.
there is no homozygous albinos in nature and most coloration strains have health issues.

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
Any keeping breeding manipulating of any living thing is obviously hurtful and wrong. probably even plants.....even if your "saving something from extinction" that doesn't make it happier healthier or more content...but I still love my fish, dogs,birds, and cats. all you can do is care and try your best to care for them. We really do it for us not them.....it enriches our lives and makes us healthier not them. Thats my opinion any way, what ever that's worth

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
View attachment 1158543 First published in the Taiwanese aquatic magazine, AquaLife, back in 1990. In 2004 it was published in Aquapets, and later translated to english & reprinted in the following link.

http://parrotcichlid.com/history

There appears to be plenty of different crosses that have taken place with "parrot" fish in Taiwan & elsewhere over the years, but the origin of the Blood Parrot is a rather simple cross, of two pure fish. There have been first generation examples shown of this cross in the hybrid section. Some of the strains with normal mouths, such as the Red Mammon shown in the photo, are quite beautiful fish IMO.
Good read.
I have read everyone's input so I could comment but everything has already been said. You could replace every reference to every example with Flower Horn and the thread would still be the same.
Mutts are mutts any way you look at it or price it.
My English Lab is supposed to be this amazing pure bred...but alas, dumb as dirt.
I love my dumb $2,000 dog, don't get me wrong, but just because we say it's pure bred, or hybred, or specialty whatever,doesnt make it so. I believe even the pure aquarist wouldn't want to keep their fish in an environment that is exactly like the fish would be in the wild. Think about it.....who would actually want algea and thick sediment in their tanks? And who would want to feed Red Head Tapajos to their Peacock Bass?
We all say we abhor the practice of hybridization, but really, what is done? So we don't buy. Mutts happen without human intervention, what is to be done about that? Are we irresponsible fish keepers when a tank full of different Malawi cichlids hybridize?
"Frankenstein fish" applies to many wet pet species sold in the aquarium trade, but frankly, there isn't much difference in keeping them as keeping illegal or banned non-native fish. Who hasn't done that?

Reactions: MN_Rebel
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store