The Creation Of Blood Parrot Cichlids (Pure Cruelty)

Do You Think It Is Okay To Breed and Sell This Fish

• I am Against Breeding, Buying, and Selling Blood Parrot Cichlids

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • I think It Is Okay To Breed, Buy, and Sell Blood Parrot Cichlids

Votes: 26 53.1%

• Total voters

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I was doing some reading and stumbled across this and it reignited the thought of this fish. I was wondering if this fish could talk what would it say to mankind.

Cracked.com
The 6 Most Terrifying Pets Humanity Has Bred Into Existence

Article from
Cracked

Apparently, there are absolutely no qualifications needed to start screwin' with the very foundation of an entire species, and the chief motivator for many selective breeders is 'I thought it would be funny'

#5. Blood Parrot Cichlids
The Aquarium Wiki
Apparently "the rainbow" tastes like high tide.

Developed in Taiwan specifically for the demanding 1980s pet market, which, much like the 1980s music market, valued nothing so much as ostentatious colors and genetic abominations, blood parrot cichlids are an unfortunate breed. They possess a slew of abnormalities, like a deformed mouth that interferes with chewing food, a malformed spine and swim bladder disorders. But so what if your fish can't eat, swim or exist properly -- it looks like somebody spilled a pack of Skittles in the aquarium! And as if urinating right down the helix of DNA itself wasn't enough, the fish are also routinely tattooed with special messages:

Modern Pet Centre
Where's the one that hearts NY?

And yes, those lips are tattooed to look like fish lipstick. Which really just goes to show: You can teach somebody how to meddle with the very structure of life itself, but there's just no teachingclass.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
This will be a divisive thread...

In my opinion, if I were given the authority to go back and decide whether they were created or not; I'd prevent it happening. This especially runs true with early strains that had the mouth problems, swim bladder problems etc too.

However, and this is the point of contention, I've seen different variations of parrots...some of which are healthy, robust fish; which aren't hindered (much) by their mouth shape, which are intelligent and beautiful fish in their own right.

Obviously tattooing and fin cutting etc are abhorrent and can in no way be justified.

As it stands, the blood parrot lines are strong; they're going nowhere soon.

Reactions: HybridHerp

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Fancy fish have been a part of the hobby since there has been a hobby. If these are cruel, then fancy goldfish, guppies, swordtails, angelfish, bettas, etc, etc, are all cruel...

Matt

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cracked,is that the humor magazine?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Fancy fish have been a part of the hobby since there has been a hobby. If these are cruel, then fancy goldfish, guppies, swordtails, angelfish, bettas, etc, etc, are all cruel...

Matt
Apples and oranges,well except for the so called fancy goldfish....some of them anyhow.The swordtails and others are not man made monstrosities with deformed mouths that they can hardly eat with.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
convict360 convict360 , D dogofwar : Thanks for your perspective. I was reading about fish and it ignited my thought on this fish. Then I looked at that Cracked article. So I was just seeing what is the sentiment today and see if it has somehow changed any from what it was even 5 years ago.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
If the fish can talk it probably sounds mentally retarded to put it nicely. It's deformed that's why I am saying that. I bought three and I thought I would never buy them and day by day they all disappeared into my flowerhorns belly lol

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think you're ugly but they're here to stay. However, the coloring and tattooing stuff is terrible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store