The Portuguese man o' war In Aquarium!!!

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
I've picked up a Portuguese Man of War from the beach and stuck it in my 30 gallon salt water tank for a closer look. These jellies wash up on Hollywood Beach all the time. So I figured, why not. I've kept two of them for 3 days and fed them some frozen mysid shrimp. They water got very funky after the second day. Porbably due to me only using a sponge filter. But I think it would be possible to keep them long term in aquriums. I would have tried longer, but I had to leave to go back to Europe. So I put them in the trash))

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Interesting tank inhabitants.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting indeed and as far as bizarre aquarium inhabitants go this minds me of the crown of thorns starfish I saw in a shop ahile back.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Cleaning the tank has got to be fun...
Very cool, just the other day I was actually thinking about if these were ever kept in aquariums. I would think sponge would have to be the way to go as far as filtration is, as anything else risks damaging them (like nems in power heads) due to their free floating nature.

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Here I was thinking what in the world is a Portuguese man o' war? and what the hell is it doing in an aquarium

• Haha

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It is an aggressive soldier from the country west of Spain.

It is a cnidarian species that looks like a jelly, but is actually a type of hydrozoan (making it closer to anemones and jellyfish). Rather than fix to the ground, it floats in the current. It has the most powerful sting out of all cnidarians (except maybe box jellies, I forget which is worse).

Reactions: Krismo962

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
It is an aggressive soldier from the country west of Spain.

It is a cnidarian species that looks like a jelly, but is actually a type of hydrozoan (making it closer to anemones and jellyfish). Rather than fix to the ground, it floats in the current. It has the most powerful sting out of all cnidarians (except maybe box jellies, I forget which is worse).
Thanks,learned something new today :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Would have never tried that or put my fingers in the aquarium. A dead Portuguese Man Of War can sting.

Last edited:

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
You...put the live animals...in the trash...why.

I've thought about keeping man o' wars in tanks, but the fact that their tentacles get to 30-100 feet long is a problem. I imagine that you'd need to do something about them touching the bottom of the tank, especially as they're a pelagic species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store