The Portuguese man o' war In Aquarium!!!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I know very little about the Portuguese man o'war jellyfish other than what i've seen on documentaries. Two things stick out. The fact their tentacles can reach 30 metres in length, not to mention their potentially fatal sting, would suggest to me that anyone who would even contemplate keeping them in an aquarium......is an idiot!

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I know very little about the Portuguese man o'war jellyfish other than what i've seen on documentaries. Two things stick out. The fact their tentacles can reach 30 metres in length, not to mention their potentially fatal sting, would suggest to me that anyone who would even contemplate keeping them in an aquarium......is an idiot!
I prefer the term “insane.”
You are on a forum with people who enjoy keeping electric, flesh eating, poisonous, 10 ft long fish. Aren’t we all a little crazy.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
I prefer the term “insane.”
You are on a forum with people who enjoy keeping electric, flesh eating, poisonous, 10 ft long fish. Aren’t we all a little crazy.

Only tentacles are toxic. The "balloon" part is fine, you can touch it.

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
You...put the live animals...in the trash...why.

I've thought about keeping man o' wars in tanks, but the fact that their tentacles get to 30-100 feet long is a problem. I imagine that you'd need to do something about them touching the bottom of the tank, especially as they're a pelagic species.

I didn't feel like taking it back to the beach. Besides. they get washed up by thousands every few days. It would have gotten beached again anyway since it has no way of getting back into the open ocean

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
you can trim the tentacles))))

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
That doesn’t harm the stinging cells?
And that sounds dangerous lol.
I don't think it would harm them because it is NOT a single animal, but a colony of small organisms. I wore gloves while handling it, and I was fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store