The Ramshorn Snail Friend Or Foe

The Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
www.youtube.com
The ramshorn snail is often seen as an aquarium pest that people want to avoid. However, they only pose a problem in an aquarium that is unbalanced. When the aquarist adds too much food to the tank, the ramshorn snails take advantage of the abundance and breed at an alarming rate. Population explosions like this cannot be blamed on the snail, but on the owner.

The pink ramshorn snail, in particular is very attractive and graceful. I use them as a clean up crew to consume uneaten food in all of my tanks. They are also great in fry tanks for the same purpose. Their droppings also produce a small amount of infusoria which the fry will eat.

Watch this high definition video and gain a new respect and appreciation for this graceful aquarium "menace".

However, once you put these snails into your tank, it's hard to get rid of them entirely.

https://youtu.be/XcCRxUoDXxo

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
I've been smooshing any baby ones, they guppies love them. I do keep one big fat one and a few small ones in my tank though, pretty neat to watch sometimes haha. They do keep the glass clean.

Reactions: tlindsey

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I'm happy about any snail that ends up in my ponds, they are as you said good for removing debris and the likes and also great fish food. However in a tiny closed system like smaller aquariums they can be a nuisance even without overfeeding.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have had the rams horn snails in my tanks for many decades. I prefer them. Even if you do not like the way they look or for some reason the idea pf the snails, they are beneficial.
They will scour in the places in a tank where excess food gets and the fish cannot go. The MTS perhaps are best for this. It seems to me it is better to have the food pass thru the snails digestion rather than rot in the water.
They, Ramshorn, do work on the algae and with attention to the photoperiod can help keep algae down.
I think they have some beneficial bacteria (bb) on their shells. I usually throw a few into a new tank setup. The snails do well right away in the new tank. I figure they will at the very least provide some bb and also some ammonia. One thing being that if the snails have problems in a new tank, then the fish almost surely will also. Snails are tough.
Not sure which species is more tough, the MTS or Ramshorn. I think the MTS is. I have set aside gravel from taking down a tank for a few weeks and found live MTS snails in the wet gravel.

If you have too many snails, then it is very likely from overfeeding. At least that has been my experience.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
MTS has got to be the toughest. Can't crush them suckers up against the glass once they've grown a bit. They burrow into the gravel for fish wastes & uneaten fish food. Rams horn, I like. They don't seem to multiply as quickly as MTS or pond snails (hate them).

The Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
www.youtube.com
Hello; I have had the rams horn snails in my tanks for many decades. I prefer them. Even if you do not like the way they look or for some reason the idea pf the snails, they are beneficial.
They will scour in the places in a tank where excess food gets and the fish cannot go. The MTS perhaps are best for this. It seems to me it is better to have the food pass thru the snails digestion rather than rot in the water.
They, Ramshorn, do work on the algae and with attention to the photoperiod can help keep algae down.
I think they have some beneficial bacteria (bb) on their shells. I usually throw a few into a new tank setup. The snails do well right away in the new tank. I figure they will at the very least provide some bb and also some ammonia. One thing being that if the snails have problems in a new tank, then the fish almost surely will also. Snails are tough.
Not sure which species is more tough, the MTS or Ramshorn. I think the MTS is. I have set aside gravel from taking down a tank for a few weeks and found live MTS snails in the wet gravel.

If you have too many snails, then it is very likely from overfeeding. At least that has been my experience.
You are very correct. Snails are a wonderful help to the aquarist. I would have to agree that MTS are by far the hardiest of all the freshwater snails. Their shells are also very hard, ramshorns are more easily crushed. Thanks for watching my video. Check out my youtube channel if you have the time. . . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store