The Truth About Fish Food Nutrition Myths

Aqua-Pharm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
Most of what people think they know about aquatic nutrition is based on marketing myths. Despite clear advancements in nutrition science, these old myths don’t seem to be going away. Here are 5 mainstream nutrition myths that have been debunked by scientific research.

Myth 1: Crude analysis is the best indicator of the nutritional quality of fish food.

Truth: A lot of ingredients like gluten and animal byproducts will increase the crude analysis values of a fish food. However those values don’t paint an accurate picture of the derived nutrition of a formulation. For example, a food could have a 40% protein analysis, but half of that protein could be made of chicken feathers and corn gluten. Since these proteins do not contain amino acids that a fish can convert to bio-mass the derived nutrition or, "Net Protein Value" (NPV) only yields a value of 20%.

Myth 2: Carnivores need animal proteins and herbivores need plant based proteins to grow.

Truth: For the most part, the source of protein will have more to do with palatability than digestibility. For bio-mass conversion it still comes down to the usability of the supplied amino acids from protein sources. One thing to consider is that most herbivores have evolved to eat continuously in order to get a high enough NPV from sources like algae. Increasing the quality and quantity of protein in herbivores diets will allow for reduced feeding, reduced bio waste, and denser population capacity.

Myth 3: Fishmeal is the best source of quality proteins.

Truth: There are many grades of fishmeal available ranging from 60-80% protein. Most fish food grade fishmeal sources contain scale, bone, and ash, much of which add to the protein analysis but are still undigestible. Land based animal byproducts can also be good source of protein, but lack palatability for most aquatic species. In addition, byproduct land and marine proteins usually contain residual hormones, pesticides, and antibiotics that can harm the longterm health and reproduction of your fish. Altho it is significantly more expensive, human food grade “prime fishmeal” offers the cleanest and highest quality NPV available. In addition, proteins from plants, brine shrimp and worms are also great sources to balance amino acids, calcium and vitamins while improving digestibility and palatability.

Myth 4: Too much protein is bad for your fish.

Truth: The right proteins are the most important part of any formulation along with fats, calcium, minerals and vitamins. What is not beneficial to your fish is undigestible proteins and fillers along with ash and other inert ingredients. While these ingredients may not harm your fish they do fowl water and place additional burden on your filtration system.

Myth 5: Probiotics allow your fish to eat more and grow faster.

Truth: While these live cultures improve the intestinal flora the real benefit is that fish waste is excreted with nitrifying bacteria present. When we pioneered probiotic use in aquatic feed we set out to create pellets that float and don’t foul water. To do this we needed to add a binder that had buoyancy. Instead of the gluten used by most feed producers we use yeast with live cultures. This means the fish waste breaks down 50% faster and actual feeds the bio process in your filtration system.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
That's an impressive first post.

What food would you recommend?

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Aaaaaaaaand cue RD. RD. ..

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Hmm...an old magazine article stated that "ash" in general was a blanket term that also included most of the minerals included in the fish food itself. I think it came from Corals&ReefUSA. Or is this a different ash that you're talking about?

I was under the impression that "probiotics" were bacteria cultures. Yeast is a fungus. Do you mean instead that you use yeast to feed live bacterial cultures? Or something different? Yeast infections look nasty, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't want to give my fish one of those through ingestion...

Fiber is also very important for herbivores as well. They have long digestive tracts that are used to slowly leaching out the nutrients from their large amounts of nutrient poor food. Whereas carnivores have shorter digestive tracts that quickly digest proteins before they start to rot in their gut. I'm curious however...wouldn't increasing the amount of protein not really work, as herbivores are better used to eating nutrient poor food? They're digestive systems are not used to such rich foods, and as such, would they not be able to cope with such a food?

While I do agree that feathers probably aren't the best source of protein, isn't protein protein? Fish probably lack the enzymes necessary to break down feather proteins into amino acids that are usable, right? Additionally, I'm curious as to your mentions of fish scales and bones. Sharks, piranhas, and many large predatory fish all eat smaller fish, which are rich in scales and bones. These scales and bones are rich in calcium and other minerals, right? I know that a member of ReefCentral, PaulB, was/is advocated the use of fish fry as good sources of lipids and minerals due to their bones and such, and PaulB also feeds frozen clams that haven't been cleaned (and thus have "indigestible" ash in them, correct?)

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I would probably have to agree with PaulB as the more natural the food source the healthier it should be. Fry and tropical fish from the same region as the fish you are feeding should produce a much healthier predator fish. This is part of the reason Gold fish don't make the best feeder fish. The gold fish is a cold water fish there by having a higher fat content wich is not as good for tropical fish. A healthy tropical fish would make a leaner meal for our topical predatory fish. On the other hand gold fish might be fine for fish like Pike,Trout or bass. As the colder climate requires their bodies have a higher fat content. Not sure on this but that may be because they may go for extended periods with little food when water temp drops.
Must say this is a very good thread and a great way to introduce yourself Aqua-Pharm.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Welcome to MFK. Can you site the source of the information you posted? While none of it is really new information, I would be interested in reading more. I agree with ichthyogeek regarding the differences in digestive systems in herbivorous vs carnivorous fishes. I also agree that scales and bones are good source of minerals for predatory fish.

I will be watching this thread with interest ;).

While you are welcome to post and participate in the forum it is advisable to obtain vendor status. All references or links to your business will be removed until then. Violations of the TOS will be regarded as spam henceforth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store