Thinking about getting a dog....

Naldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
Ohio
We have an American Eskimo Dog (AKA-German Spitz). The breed comes in three sizes, 9"+, 12"+, 15"+, that are otherwise identical. Ours is a female of the biggest size. They are energetic, atheletic and one of the most vigilent but
non-aggressive watch dogs. An Eskimo isn't going to shred burglars like a pit bull, but nobody is going to ever sneak up on a house with an Eskimo in it. Great dogs in my opinion.

Naldo

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Naldo;3235149; said:
We have an American Eskimo Dog (AKA-German Spitz). The breed comes in three sizes, 9"+, 12"+, 15"+, that are otherwise identical. Ours is a female of the biggest size. They are energetic, atheletic and one of the most vigilent but
non-aggressive watch dogs. An Eskimo isn't going to shred burglars like a pit bull, but nobody is going to ever sneak up on a house with an Eskimo in it. Great dogs in my opinion.

Naldo

gorgeous snow ball..

callmesethro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2009
Okinawa
try to adopt! its free and if youre lucky youll get a one in a million pet, mine's so smart he has his accidents next to the toilet. I dont know if id reccomend it for weimeriners, theyre hyper as it is already. Mutts always have better personalities, their like well cultured people u know?

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
Most recognized pure breeds have a breeders association, and a 'rescue' network.
My second Newfie is a rescue. The main difference between these breed rescues and pound-puppies is that you usually won;t find them at the pound , but they still need good homes
So, if you want, you can have your cake and eat it too, adopt a pure breed dog. Either way, adoption is a great way to go.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Neervana;3234965; said:
I never realised how much hard work it was keeping a dog until we got our pitbull. Ever thought about a guard dog? Like rottweiler or pitbull? They are nice dogs to have :)
I thought pitbulls were banned in the UK? Personally I'd never own/trust one, but I would absolutely love a rotty. My other half isn't so keen though, she thinks they're too big for a first dog. And even though they can been really gentle and good natured I'd be a bit more reluctant to let it run around off the leash in a forrest or beach with other people around.

We will certainly keep an eye on the dogs at the local shelter, it would be great to give one a new home.

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
I would go with a Doberman, German Shepard or a Vizla.

Or if you want a manly dog, yo can't go wrong (well you can :p) with a Norweigian Mastiff!

dingoofus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bundy, Queensland, Australia
Mate, it'd be worth looking into the "australian Kelpie" if you want a smart, medium sized, athletic, agile, loyal dog. They are really smart, best herding dogs in my opinion, can tolerate hot weather really well. A lot of people prefer them here, to the border collie at stock herding, because, they are more energetic and their endurance is second to none.

Wait, you're a kiwi, you might not want the dog just cos it's aussie, lol.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
seaofdreams;3234787; said:
x2 All of my pets have been from shelters and they have all been amazing. I don't know about other people but I feel so much more attached to my pets knowing that they had a rough start to life and that I did something to make their lives better.
It's sad for me cause I see alot of wonderful dog's that never get a home and eventually get put down :( . But stories like yours help me see the good that does exists out there. Thanks for your dedication to shelter dog's.

mr.reef24

bettagurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Hampton VA
Pits make wonderful dogs if you get one with good genetics, unfortunately so many freaking people are breeding dogs who have weak genes it is hard to find one... It takes a special person to care for them with a lot of time.. They have made lousy guard dogs IME, all bark.

Rotties are AWESOME, as are pits, but require a job of sorts, they are a working breed and will end up making life miserable if they haven't got something to keep them preoccupied.

Weim's are very cool, but make sure if you are buying one you go to a VERY reputable breeder, many of them are unstable from over breeding... They are VERY VERY high energy and also do best if given a job, like ding agility or scent training... Or their job could be just a few things like putting their toys away after they're done playing, bringing in the mail, and of course obedience training.

Vizslas are some of my favorite dogs, they generally do well with other dogs and are great family pets... Also very energetic and need about 2 hours of good exercise per day.

Beagles are MONSTERS lol
They are adorable, but are a BIG hound in a little body. Let one get bored at all and everything with half of a good smell will be gone. They also cannot be off lead and be trusted... Even well trained, their instincts are too strong and if they get the scent of a rabbit or something your commands fall on deaf ears as the dogs trots into traffic or some other danger. They are very trainable though, I love these vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJm...8B35DE5E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=23

Also shows how amazing pits can be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXFq7Vqqr8Y&feature=channel

bettagurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Hampton VA
The video of the training also goes to show how stubborn both breeds can be XD

Beagles are also very pack-needing dogs.. If they are left most of the time it is very bad... My neighbor has one as an outdoor dog, by herself, and it is a CONSTANT bugling, howling, barking, mess...

I think you should check out www.petfinder.com and search for a few breeds you like, or just browse whatever is available, you never know who might pop out at you..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store