Thinking of getting NTT

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Hi,

What are your experiences with NTT? are they more sensitive and harder to raise than other types of datnoids?
suddenly wanting to add NTT, i've been keeping IT's and NGTs for years now.
i only had NTT once and it was killed by my banded leporinus :(

anything i should watch out for when getting and raising NTT?

thanks.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
How did your leoporinus manage to kill the dat?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Leporinus has teeth like that of a rabbits, it chewed on the side of my ntt, was really pissed of f as i got
My Ntt from Singapore .

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Many have claimed that they are prone to sudden death syndrome once they get somewhat larger, around 10"ish if I recall correctly. In my experience they seem a little calmer and more confident than other varieties of dats though I wouldn't make the claim that they'll all be like that. I had mine until it was around 9" and regrettably sold it.

Personally I wouldn't let the SDS deter you, they're a real treat to keep but I do fear that seeing them less and less every year and price going up somewhat dramatically I fear they might be going the way of the ST. If that were the case it's kind of a double edge sword, get one while you can but at the cost of pulling another from the wild. That said, if I come across one it's very high on my list of fish I want and an almost empty 180g makes the high price tag a little less of an obstacle..

278.JPG

475.JPG

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
wow your NTT really nice, they seem to be seasonal?
it sbeen a while since i last saw 3 incher sbeing sold here.
i think they are more docile than NGT, IT and ST :)

thanks will try to get one and hopefully bble to raise it to monster size.

Many have claimed that they are prone to sudden death syndrome once they get somewhat larger, around 10"ish if I recall correctly. In my experience they seem a little calmer and more confident than other varieties of dats though I wouldn't make the claim that they'll all be like that. I had mine until it was around 9" and regrettably sold it.

Personally I wouldn't let the SDS deter you, they're a real treat to keep but I do fear that seeing them less and less every year and price going up somewhat dramatically I fear they might be going the way of the ST. If that were the case it's kind of a double edge sword, get one while you can but at the cost of pulling another from the wild. That said, if I come across one it's very high on my list of fish I want and an almost empty 180g makes the high price tag a little less of an obstacle..

View attachment 1247729

View attachment 1247730

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Leporinus has teeth like that of a rabbits, it chewed on the side of my ntt, was really pissed of f as i got
My Ntt from Singapore .
Interesting,I wasn't aware of that.Did the lep chase your dat around the tank in order for it to chew on it? Dats can move pretty fast when they want to.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
wow your NTT really nice, they seem to be seasonal?
it sbeen a while since i last saw 3 incher sbeing sold here.
i think they are more docile than NGT, IT and ST :)

thanks will try to get one and hopefully bble to raise it to monster size.
Thank you, and while I can't say for sure I wouldn't be surprised if there were time of year where they were more abundant and find their way into wholesalers and LFSs. In my experience they seem quietly confident and less likely to bicker with other fish in my own tanks than other dats I've kept. Be sure to share if you find yourself one!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice looking thinbar Gage,what do you feed it?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
yup, they also like to nip, everything happened too fast :(
wasn't expecting my NTT to be bullied and injured so quickly.
Interesting,I wasn't aware of that.Did the lep chase your dat around the tank in order for it to chew on it? Dats can move pretty fast when they want to.

Thank you, and while I can't say for sure I wouldn't be surprised if there were time of year where they were more abundant and find their way into wholesalers and LFSs. In my experience they seem quietly confident and less likely to bicker with other fish in my own tanks than other dats I've kept. Be sure to share if you find yourself one!

Serge Koenig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2017
Koenigsberg, Russia
My newcome NTT shy and dont eat anything. Please advice how to feed him with shrimps or tilapia, that my others Datz eat (NGT and IT). Two weaks already left since he flyed to me.
20170416_125344.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store