Thinking of Upgrading and Kinda Broke. Need Halps/Ideas.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hey all. I've been driving myself nuts thinking about it. I want to upgrade my 90 gallon to something around 6-7' long and the fiance agrees that he wants something shiny. I would prefer an acrylic tank so we don't have to pay people to help move a heavy glass thing. We just barely were able to move the 90 in here. I'm thinking we can probably stuff something like a 125-200 something gallon against the wall in here if we sell or move the couch around. Apartment is teeny. My dad can weld me a stand if I really can't find one sturdy enough for cheap. We rent so that crap has to be strong. I also really do not want an overflow or drilled tank with a sump underneath. I would prefer a nice canister with the HOB's I have on the 90 so it cycles quick. Plus like I said, renters... if the sump floods because I have poor plumbing skills I'm screwed. I still think the manager thought I have a fishbowl when she let me have fish... hehehe. >:}

I'll probably start hoarding cash from cans and flipping stuff on craigslist, and eating more rice and beans and ramen (yummy) to help pay for this. How much do you think I should start budgeting for? We can afford it new in several months if I save a ton of money elsewhere and start walking places instead of driving. I was thinking we will need at least 500-1000 or possibly even more munees for something nice and new. The problem there is that I've been unemployed for over a year, so I'm stuck with using the fiance's money (I hate doing that agh)/some of my savings which I can pull out of my butt if I really have to..... Ehh. Job searching is just incredibly depressing and stressful at this point (plus bad life events happened) so I stopped to save my sanity. :(

Should I risk getting a used tank off craigslist to save a few hundred though? I can spring for brand new, most likely the tank will be up for 5+ years. Need fish in my place. Only issue is that I don't want to majorly buff acrylic on the viewing panel (don't care about the sides or back) or have to have glass resealed. My 90 will need a reseal and a new front panel ASAP and ehh (worried one earthquake or a pleco or something will pop the right corner seal if I wait too long). Thinking I will just sell it after the upgrade or give it to the fiance's dad to redo and keep so I don't have to deal with that crap. I have a million crafty projects I'm supposed to be working on anyway... like that canvas I gotta make art with, and nightstand, and pc, and cute housewifey garden stuff I need to build... sitting there for months... ha.

I hate being a broke fishkeeper grr. Thoughts on how I can do this for cheap but safely? I would build an outdoor intex pond instead but I think I mentioned in a prior thread that there's no outlet out there or enough space really. Hopefully we will be moving soon though, probably into a mobile home/manufactured house. Would the floors on those be able to support the weight of a tank over 75 gallons or nah? I was thinking I could build a greenhouse outside if we make it to that point where we actually own our own place and the floors are weak haha.

:confused:

Reactions: tlindsey

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Craigslist flipping FTW! I funded my hobby doing this for about 10 years. Only catch is you have to have cheap storage space.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hahah yeah storage is an issue in this dump. I usually only sell a few thingies and baby fishies here and there. Gunna try to make 100 bucks off of older pc parts soon and whatever spring cleaning stuff that needs to go. Was gunna rebuild it since it's a micro atx and would be quite portable but fish tanks are a priority haha. My next pc build will have to wait.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey all. I've been driving myself nuts thinking about it. I want to upgrade my 90 gallon to something around 6-7' long and the fiance agrees that he wants something shiny. I would prefer an acrylic tank so we don't have to pay people to help move a heavy glass thing. We just barely were able to move the 90 in here. I'm thinking we can probably stuff something like a 125-200 something gallon against the wall in here if we sell or move the couch around. Apartment is teeny. My dad can weld me a stand if I really can't find one sturdy enough for cheap. We rent so that crap has to be strong. I also really do not want an overflow or drilled tank with a sump underneath. I would prefer a nice canister with the HOB's I have on the 90 so it cycles quick. Plus like I said, renters... if the sump floods because I have poor plumbing skills I'm screwed. I still think the manager thought I have a fishbowl when she let me have fish... hehehe. >:}

I'll probably start hoarding cash from cans and flipping stuff on craigslist, and eating more rice and beans and ramen (yummy) to help pay for this. How much do you think I should start budgeting for? We can afford it new in several months if I save a ton of money elsewhere and start walking places instead of driving. I was thinking we will need at least 500-1000 or possibly even more munees for something nice and new. The problem there is that I've been unemployed for over a year, so I'm stuck with using the fiance's money (I hate doing that agh)/some of my savings which I can pull out of my butt if I really have to..... Ehh. Job searching is just incredibly depressing and stressful at this point (plus bad life events happened) so I stopped to save my sanity. :(

Should I risk getting a used tank off craigslist to save a few hundred though? I can spring for brand new, most likely the tank will be up for 5+ years. Need fish in my place. Only issue is that I don't want to majorly buff acrylic on the viewing panel (don't care about the sides or back) or have to have glass resealed. My 90 will need a reseal and a new front panel ASAP and ehh (worried one earthquake or a pleco or something will pop the right corner seal if I wait too long). Thinking I will just sell it after the upgrade or give it to the fiance's dad to redo and keep so I don't have to deal with that crap. I have a million crafty projects I'm supposed to be working on anyway... like that canvas I gotta make art with, and nightstand, and pc, and cute housewifey garden stuff I need to build... sitting there for months... ha.

I hate being a broke fishkeeper grr. Thoughts on how I can do this for cheap but safely? I would build an outdoor intex pond instead but I think I mentioned in a prior thread that there's no outlet out there or enough space really. Hopefully we will be moving soon though, probably into a mobile home/manufactured house. Would the floors on those be able to support the weight of a tank over 75 gallons or nah? I was thinking I could build a greenhouse outside if we make it to that point where we actually own our own place and the floors are weak haha.

:confused:
Would be nice to purchase a new aquarium for not worrying about leaks or scratches but have heard of people getting good aquariums on Craigslist as well.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Honestly, if I were you, I'd wait on an upgrade until your living space has been upgraded as well. It'll save yourself a lot of money/trouble. I personally wouldn't get a large tank unless I know I will be staying at a place for longer than a few years.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Go the Craigslist way all the way lol
Honestly if you look hard enough and lowball your way into a great deal. You be surprised how many people have big tanks just taking up space and want them gone.
Or lovely mFk has a WTB in the marketplace just put it out there in case anyone has a nice setup that fits your price and needs

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Getc a craigslist tank. I found my 210 on CL for $300. Although it took a few months of searching and it was a little banged up, I'meant happy with it.

As far as filtration, look into an eheim 2262, two fx4s, an fx6, or two Eheim pro 4 600s.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Craigslist supplied all my tanks except for 1.

One thing I'm going to tell you off the bat is it will be highly unlikely you'll be able to use your HOB's on an acrylic build over like 75-90. Most anything after that is going to have wide bracing up top and HOB's can't fit over them. Find or save up for multiple canisters as well.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Craigslist for sure.
Save on a set up now and put money aside for a really nice new tank once you are completely settled in your own place. That way if anything happened durning the move to that tank you won't be devastated. Then even if the tank cracked or broke in the move you'll still have all the equipment needed to run the new tank.
That's my thoughts anyway.

I got my 75gl, stand, canopy, and a ton of other stuff for only $50. It has scratches at the top here and there from them using the wrong cleaning tools, but otherwise in good shape. Seals are all good too.
I will be happy to get an even bigger tank off there once I have a space to put another one up.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store