This is why dead loaches smell so bad

ChocolateCake123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
Have you ever smelled dead loach and thought "This reeks like nothing else! Why is that?". It is because loaches are oily fish, and when they die, all that oil starts to rot, leading to that terrible smell. Clown loaches, for instance, have flesh that is an off-white color, like haddock or hake. But don't let that fool you. The flesh has a high oil content, and from what I've seen, I imagine that clown loach would taste like carp, but without the muddy undertone. Same goes for kuhli loaches, except they have even more oil. So much, actually, that it spills out when you cut into them! (No loaches were harmed, this is simply what I saw after examination of fish that died of natural causes)

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well.... it would seem as though I have quite a long time with my 3 inch clown loaches before I have to experience it for myself :confused:.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Sadly one of my 20+ year old Loaches jumped out unbeknownst to me. When i found him three days later, he was all dried up.on the outside. It didn't smell as bad as i wouldI would have expected. I'm still upset that i I didn't notice him jumping out while doing a water change but now I'm extra careful.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
It was probably because he had 3 days to dry out. Also, how big was he?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Well.... it would seem as though I have quite a long time with my 3 inch clown loaches before I have to experience it for myself :confused:.
You hope so. I just had a teeny little one die the other day for no reason. My best guess is it was the runt and the other loaches were bullying it.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
It was probably because he had 3 days to dry out. Also, how big was he?
He was only 5.5". I think my Loaches were stunted from infrequent water changes. I used to do 30% once a month so nitrates were probably in the 100's. He was about half the size of my biggest Loach. My smallest of the three is about 2/3 the size of the one that jumped.

He was still went on inside. It was gross bc part was stuck to carpet and he was wet inside.

Luckily I had a batch of 4 Loaches in the QT tank that i.moved.over not long after so they are in a big group.

The two originals.always hang out together and hide in the same.cave. The smallest original hangs out with the new Loaches sometimes. The new little ones sometimes swim along side the originals but mostly they are out swimming around with each other or next to the Dority rainbowfish that I had them in QT with.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
humm, loach oil, seems some money to made there. I need to send email to Gwyneth Paltrow and see what she can do with her Goop page.

Reactions: Matteus

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
5 inches at 20 years old and you think he was stunted? I would literally bet $10,000 on him being stunted if I could find an idiot that would bet against him being stunted.
I'm kinda sad now, once I saw that he was 20 years old I had expected a 12 incher :(.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store