This is why dead loaches smell so bad

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Getting back off topic for a comment. Big 12 inches are rare already so if they started being sold are responsible food they'd run out very quickly.
Back on topic. All types of loaches you say? I'm getting a few weather loaches soon and with my clown loaches I assume I'll have a big oily mess on my hands once they eventually pass in the future if this is true.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Getting back off topic for a comment. Big 12 inches are rare already so if they started being sold are responsible food they'd run out very quickly.
Back on topic. All types of loaches you say? I'm getting a few weather loaches soon and with my clown loaches I assume I'll have a big oily mess on my hands once they eventually pass in the future if this is true.

ChocolateCake123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
Yeah, you are gonna have a mini oil spill in your tank, for when clown (and presumably weather, although I have yet to verify this) loaches die, the oil floats out of the decomposing bodies and towards the surface, leading to a thick film of loach oil that will stick around until you do enough water replacements to get it out.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Yeah, you are gonna have a mini oil spill in your tank, for when clown (and presumably weather, although I have yet to verify this) loaches die, the oil floats out of the decomposing bodies and towards the surface, leading to a thick film of loach oil that will stick around until you do enough water replacements to get it out.
I don’t think it is nearly as dramatic as you may think from this thread. I have had 3 cls die in the last 6 months or so and haven’t noticed anything of the sort.

ChocolateCake123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
Oh, but I have had 6 die all at once, along with several kuhli loaches, when I was on vacation. There was indeed an oil spill, and the loach oil did not go away until 3 days of continuous water replacements.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
How long was your vacation?

ChocolateCake123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
1 week, but the fish-sitter told me one day it was fine, then on the day before I was to come back, the Oily Deaths happened. My weather loach and ID shark, unlike the clowns, were able to survive, but weathers and ID's are pretty much indestructible.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
The circumstances surrounding the situation is rather curious. Did you happen to take pictures of the oily substance? Also how big were the clown loaches at the time of their death if you remember?

ChocolateCake123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
I did not take any pictures, but that is moot, since I can't post pictures from my device. The clowns were about 8 to 10 centimeters long at the time of death. I also had a pictus catfish, feather fin squeaker, and a red tail shark perish with them. Could they have added to the oil spill?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store