Thoughts on Fire Eel tank change

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Hello Everyone!

I have a beautiful Fire Eel currently housed in a 125g planted tank. He's around 18 in.

I'm doing some tank re-arrangements to maximize my fish room. I have a 135g cube tank (36 W x 36 L x 24 H) available. I am briefly considering putting my eel into this tank. It's not very long, but I wonder if it could work well for him since it's a cube and he could swim in big circles. Just a passing thought.

Any feedback on this idea from experienced Mastecembelus keepers?

Thank you!

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
how active is he in your 125? My 2 fire eels and black spotted eel all have their territory in my tank and only leave it to come to the feeding spot. So for one of mine I'd say it would work but if yours is more active it might be a problem

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
how active is he in your 125? My 2 fire eels and black spotted eel all have their territory in my tank and only leave it to come to the feeding spot. So for one of mine I'd say it would work but if yours is more active it might be a problem
Hello! Very good point. He's fairly active. Mostly at feeding time, but even outside of that. Though he mostly just swims from cave to cave. So I could probably accomodate that by placing the caves in each corner. Hmm...

F3l1ss

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
UK
Hrm one of my fires liked to surf the length of the tank, the other one is more of a creeper. It depends on the personality of the one you have I reckon!

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I would keep it in the 125 until you get a 180 or larger to move it into. I don’t think it will appreciate the 36” length on the 135.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store